slab movement 1.5" within 40 feet

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I wouldn't worry your little head about it. It sounds like you have a high spot at the reference point and the rest of the house is within tolerances for a home that old. We have repaired houses that were out by 6" or more and one time a corner was down by 12". If yours is 30 years old and within those tolerances, you are good to go.
Trust your engineer, he probably knows what he is doing. Watch for further movement, but if it is that close after this long, I don't think it is going to move any further. It could have been out that much when it was built.
And yes, I am familiar with homes in this area.
Another thing is this; We don't have homes with basements in this area because we don't need them. There is no frost heave worth talking about, and that is why most homes have basements. It is easier to dig down below the frost line and leave it as a room after pouring your foundation walls. Costs more to fill it back up with dirt than it is to just leave it.
Here you only need about 36" of footer to support your home, so we just trench it. I have dug enough in this country to know that it is not too hard to dig, just unnecessary. I have done plenty of homes out in the hill country and many have had septic systems which we dug with back hoe (sometimes needing a hoe ram).
You CAN dig, just don't need to.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Almost forgot! Welcome to Austin!
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

thanks Rob !! appreciate your comments !