Skylights: double up the rafters?

Page 2 of 2

Hi,
This is where I'm putting skylights:
http://freeboundaries.com/howtoframe.jpg
They are 22x54 and I will have 4 of them and a cathedral ceiling.
What would your recommendation be about that?
Thanks,
Aaron

That doesn't look like trusses. They look like otherwise unsupported two by four rafters? Span? On what ....... 24 inch centres? Any snow load? Human load (while working on roof? If any are going to be cut best get some advice; if not to be cut roof structure will be much the same as it is now! Doubling up as mentioned by some will also help to stiffen the roof around skylights which should reduce flexing.
Aaron Fude wrote:

My last house had a few skylights. Didn't have a reinforced rafters. I was the original owner and lived in that house almost 20 years. Did not have any problem anything to do with sky lights. Now I live in this house custom built in '94 per our plan. We did away with sky lights, we have all glass all season sun room now like a green house.

No. Tom

If the roof is on engineered trusses, modifications are needed. Allay your doubts by getting sound professional advice (architect) and asking questions at your building inspection department. We can't give you good advice based on so little information. Good luck.
Joe

how can a hole in a wall weaken the roof?

Defintely NOT, as you stated it anyway. But I think something was lost in the translation. I'd bet on it.

My guess is he's talking about the roof deck or the ceiling below the skylight. It does weaken the structure slightly but I don't know what sistering the rafters is needed. For a truly accurate answer, you'd have to know the span, the skylight size and the rest of the construction details. I'd check to see if the skylight manufacturer has suggestions.