Skylights: double up the rafters?

My guess is he's talking about the roof deck or the ceiling below the skylight. It does weaken the structure slightly but I don't know what sistering the rafters is needed. For a truly accurate answer, you'd have to know the span, the skylight size and the rest of the construction details. I'd check to see if the skylight manufacturer has suggestions.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Call me on it all you want you moron, there are codes on this. It has to do with any sizable opening in the roof whether for a skylight, chimney, or even a dormer. Not only have I been a card carrying carpenter for 30 years, I can out build you, out work you, and apparently out think you any day, any time, any where. You are obviously nothing more than a hack with daddy's hammer. Get back behind the McDonald's counter where you belong. Lou

Reply to
Lou

That doesn't look like trusses. They look like otherwise unsupported two by four rafters? Span? On what ....... 24 inch centres? Any snow load? Human load (while working on roof? If any are going to be cut best get some advice; if not to be cut roof structure will be much the same as it is now! Doubling up as mentioned by some will also help to stiffen the roof around skylights which should reduce flexing.

Reply to
terry

Geez, I seemed to hit a nerve! BTW, there's nothing wrong with being a handyman, if you have a clue!

Now I know you have a reading comprehension problem, but the OP said they were going between rafters. Since you obviously do not know how to use Google, I took it upon myself to do part of your homework for you.

Here's an article from Fine Home Building, page 86 will help you with your lack of knowledge.

Please quit making yourself look like a fool! Anyone with any knowledge knows if you've been a card carrier for 30 years, please 4 years of apprenticeship, should not still be doing any type of framing work! Your agility is shot, and you had better moved on to at the very least, supervision!

Now, it's time to show that code you been trying to play or shut up!

Reply to
Toffee Monday

[...]

Last time I checked, people in this thread were giving advice to the guy who made the original post, not you, so no need to get testy.

Well, I did mis-read the question a bit. And you could certainly take the question that way. However, just because some homeowner on here says they are putting a skylight between 2 rafters, doesn't mean they aren't cutting one out in between the two. If you cut one in the middle, you still have a skylight between two rafters. No mention was made of the size of the sklight or the spacing of the rafters. Just that fact alone should tell you that the person seeking advice may not fully understand the situation.

Reply to
trader4

You replied to me specifically, not the OP. Look at the thread, if you wanted to reply to the OP, don't do it through me.

LOL, you're trying to tell me not to get testy? I have news for you, don't reply to anything, if you're going to attempt to dictate the responses.

If you want to read something into the question posed, that's your right.

Reply to
Toffee Monday