Skylights, do I need to buy the manufacturer's flashing?

I'm installing 4 skylights in a porch. Velux fixed models. I may need to put on a metal roof, or have a roofer do it.
The flashing kit for metal roofs costs more than the skylight itself. I am wondering if it is really necessary to buy the manufacturer's kit, or is it possible to do the flashing oneself or have a roofer do it using standard flashing materials.
Thanks,
-- Jeff
I've installed these in the past and it shouldn't be a problem for a roofer to do. I don't see any problems with this at all. In my area we have a sheet metal company that makes the steel roofing and then you can order any "Funny" trim you want. I did a massive garage of doors, windows and eves with special dimensions for $300 for the steel trim. (Some had at least 8 bends)
On 29 Apr 2005 04:31:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Don't trust the Velux rough opening dimensions. Wait until you have the skylights in hand. Mine were off 2"in width and 4" in length. the skylight would drop through the hole. Normally wouldn't have been a problem except my holes were cut in 8" SIP panel.
I bought the flashing kit.