Skylight window recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking to install fixed skylight windows in the North East of the US. What are some of the best companies? How about Velux?

Thanks!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Whatever brand you buy, stop by Wal-Mart and pick up a few plastic buckets so you have something to catch the water from the leaks...

Reply to
J.H. Holliday

Velux are an excellent choice and they stand behind their warranties if you have any problems with the window. Installation of the skylights are most crucial. The instructions that come with the Velux units must be followed to the letter to guarantee a leak free roof and the proper Velux flashing kit must be used again following all instructions. You can count on developing problems in about 15 years anyway no matter how good the installation.

Reply to
rmorton

Aaron Fude wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Are you going to install them or are you having them installed?

Anyway, I shingled an 18 yr old roof in the north northeast that had two fixed Veluxs. There was some evidence of prior minor leaking. I very carefully removed the rubber seals, head, foot and step flashing and reused it. Used flashing tape under metal flashing, sealed all flashing nail heads with roofing cement. Sealed all old nail holes in flashing with roof cement. That was about a year ago. Lots of heavy rain, wind, ice and snow in that time. No runs, no drips, no errors.

So, if I can get 18 year old ones redone without leaks, surly new ones can be leak free if installed correctly.

I got the skylight flashing tape installation procedure from:

Roofing with Asphalt Shingles Mike Guertin Taunton Press

Red Green

Boden wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews2.newsguy.com:

...and follows them to the letter!

Reply to
Red Green

I've 5 Velux roof windows, some fixed, some movable. All installed over

15 yrs ago. No problems.

My > Aaron Fude wrote in

Boden

I'll add one point. Get the type that mount on a raised curb, not the ones that mount (nearly) flush to the roof. The nearly flush ones are less obtrusive looking from outside, but are much more prone to leaking that the ones with raised and properly flashed curbs.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

How about Loewen out of colorado

Reply to
ransley

nail heads with

I put in Velux (18"X2") before a re-roof and the roofer botched-it (too lazy to ask for or get a screwdriver to remove the sealed collar. I took it apart and sealed all with urethane caulk after straightening the flashing.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

Velux is widely regarded as the best source for sklights. I'd get either fixed ones or if you want them to open, get the electric ones. If you go half way with the manual crank type, you'll wind up not opening them because it's too much hassle.

Reply to
trader4

Oh, ye of little faith...my seven 2'x4' non-opening Velux skylights have never leaked a drop. And they have been through four hurricanes with 150 mph gusts and countless lesser storms.

Reply to
dadiOH

Whatever you choose, make sure you think about a sun shade feature. A skylight can really turn your house into an oven in the summer.

Reply to
mike

Properly installed skylights, don't leak.

Reply to
Ron

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Properly installed QUALITY skylights don't leak. Just like properly installed quality roofing.

I am nothing more than a professional wanna-be. I've never had a roof, flashing, valley, window, skylight, chimney, or door leak. I read authoritative info. I follow directions. That's the only difference between a professional and a professional wanna-be.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Skylights aside...are you saying that if you follow directions, and read up on said project, that you can do just a good of job as a pro, no matter what the job is?

Reply to
Ron

read up on said project, that you can do just a good of job as a pro, no matter what the job is?

I believe that is true...as a general statement. Given that the pro has to do the job within a time frame and the home owner "pro" has all the time he needs to be anal about the appearance and quality of the work.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com:

Certain things yes, certain things no and certain things better.

Points:

In the same timeframe as a pro providing we are doing the exact same work & detail, no.

You can read all you want on taping and mudding drywall but it takes a lot of experience to do it like a pro.

I will not do half-assed good 'nuff, who'll ever know things.

There's a good enough possibility it will be done better than a pro in SOME cases.

You need to know your skillset and ability to figure things out from them.

But the real question is what is a pro? The Borg has "Pros". Someone listed in the Yellow Pages that lists the service? Someone who has been hacking for 10 years?

Reply to
Red Green