SKUNKS !!!

Page 2 of 2

I'm with her. You might want to let her know that geckos do eat spiders, if she doesn't also have a lizard phobia.
Jo Ann

Thanks for all the responses. I really do not want to smell moth balls and I won't have them killed. So I guess I will just keep on trapping them and hope once all are out they won't come back. It's only a can of tuna to bait them...

You definitely don't want to smell mothballs on a regular basis -- they're toxic. And, as someone who has had skunks not only nesting under her house, but who had them spray there, I can testify that mothballs do not seem to have a deterrent effect on the skunks, nor do they mask the odor; they just compound it. Wish I could have gotten that idiot landlord to understand that when he kept "fixing" the situation by strewing mothballs all over the yard. He was fixated on how much easier that was than repairing the so-called foundation (read: WWII ammo boxes) that allowed them access.
Jo Ann
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 00:49:57 +0000, lance wrote:

Off the property may be impossible. You could put 1/4" hardware cloth around the perimeter of the building to keep critters out. Look at what skunks like to eat and try to make the area less inviting.

We had good luck getting rid of raccoons with a product that simulated coyote urine. I understand that for skunks, you need fox urine. You can buy some here http://www.predatorpee.com/ and probably many other places. Just sprinkle it around your property and the skunks will leave, thinking there is a predator nearby.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /

Get a cat. You'll need a mutant, junkyard cat, but they do exist. My best "pestinator" cat used to frequently bring home dead skunks, racoons, and possum, in addition to rabbits and assorted rodents. She only got skunked once, so she was VERY good at sneaking up on them, apparently. She even went after wild turkeys, but only once. I guess they were bigger and less tempting up close. Even she didn't mess with the woodchuck, though.
My worst mouser chased deer, although he was more dog than cat. He never did get one, of course, but they actually ran from him, lord knows why!
Funny (now) skunk-trapping story: Our mutual landlord trapped 22 (!!) skunks from under my neighbor's back porch, then closed up the access hole with hardware cloth. Several days later, the neighbor walked into her kitchen to discover a skunk sitting in the middle of floor eating from her dog's box of Milk Bones. It seems one skunk had been inadvertently left under the porch and, in desperation, had gnawed its way up through the kitchen floor. I asked her what she did, and she said first she ran upstairs to get the dog so it wouldn't startle the skunk. Then, dog in hand, she crept out the front door around to the back, carefully opened that door, and waited for the skunk to leave. As she said, "It wasn't as if I could shoo it with a broom!"
Jo Ann

Forgot to mention that the predator urine is practically odorless to humans.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /