SKUNKS !!!

Page 1 of 2
I got three skunks under the house which sits on no foundation. I am trying to trap them and got one yesterday. When I get them all hoew do I keep them out? Or off the property?
Large Dosage of Moth Balls and Amonia.

A MAJOR caveat re: mothballs.
We had a chipmunk chew through the outside tongue and groove on our cabin and take up residence in the void. We asked what to put in there, and Ace Hardware said mothballs.
My wife had me put two boxes in there. I don't know what I was thinking of at the time, but good private I am, I carried out Sarge's orders.
For nearly a year, we had an overpowering aroma of mothballs. To get them out would have required MAJOR removal of components. Finally, this summer, when we got to the cabin, the mothballs didn't hit you in the face the moment you walked in.
You may be able to put a lot of mothballs in there. Just be darn sure that they are in a place you can get them out easily once the skunks vacate. I'd go get some of those net bags and put a bunch in those, and then retrieve the bag once they're gone.
As for the ammonia, I don't know how long that takes to dissipate, but remember that you will be smelling it, too. And humid conditions or rain might activate it in the future if you spray a lot under there.
HTH
Steve
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 20:06:55 -0700, "SteveB"

I might not have foreseen this either. I don't think a net bag is good though because I think the holes are too big. The moth balls get smaller as time goes on. Maybe socks would be better. It will slow the naphtha from getting out, but it will still get out a day later.
I used to have some metal cans with hooks to hang them in the closet. I think the holes were only one or 2 mm, and thats when there would have been no problem removing the can. I'd use socks.

So you think you can out stink a skunk?
While I try to personally avoid them, and they can become a bother, I agree with those who have noted that they have their good points. Eating mice voles and grubs is a real plus. When I was a kid the family bought a de-scented skunk for a pet. They don't make great pets.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Ok you trapped them, how did you release them from the trap.
Large Dosage of Moth

I suspect they'd wander out if you open the trap and walk away. What I'm wondering is how you avoid getting sprayed earlier in this little adventure.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Skunks don't spray what they can't see. Keep the cage covered.

I just avoid them. They hang around my yard at night, but they seem preoccupied with snuffling around for grubs. However, one night, I stepped out on my porch and one of them came jettin' into the flower bed 10 feet away. Never saw a skunk move that fast. I assume it was after a mouse, or maybe it caught wind of a predator. I just stood there nice & still for a minute until it left. Never saw a skunk move that fast.
HeyBub wrote:

accidentally trapped momma skunk when I thought raccoons were getting in my garbage cans. Trap was surrounded by 4 little skunks that would not leave momma. I managed to open trap at a distance with assistance of my pole pruner and did not get sprayed.
Besides getting sprayed, rabies is endemic around here so you need to be doubly careful.

I took a plastic coated table cloth, held it up against my body and walked slowly to the trap and placed it over the trap. Thay won't spray if they are covered. I then put a plastic garbage bag on the floor of the van, placed the trap there and brought the little guy for a long ride. I stopped at a field that had woods at the side and put thge trap on the ground then lifted the end of the table cloth up slowly and opened the trap door, little devil didn't want to come out so I lifted the trap end up and he went on his merry way into the woods. You need to do all things slowly and don't spook him and it WORKS !!!

Understandably, you're probably not in the mood to hear this, but skunks are valuable to have around. They eat grubs & mice. Is there any way you could use sturdy fence wire to block access to the underside of the house once you've got the skunks out?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

We had skunks under our front porch, which is a piece of concrete about 7' x 5'. They dug a den under the concrete. I filled it several times with new concrete. Each time they would dig under the new layer. I talked to local animal control and they told me that I needed to put hardware cloth (coarse screening) vertical on the sides of the stoop down about 4 or 6 inches underground. And then out, under the 4 or 6 inches of dirt, about 12". I did it, they tried to return and dug down in to where they encountered the screening and then they moved on. I also did this on my storage shed ... worked equally well. Around an entire cabin might be a big job. BTW, when animal control traps a skunk here, they kill it. They use a needle on a long handle. They let the animal see it and then inject it. Usually, the skunk doesn't spray, but sometimes they do.
Too bad they have to kill the animal. Letting the animal "see" the weapon seems a bit cruel. I realize that skunks are a pain but they do have some value (eating grubs adn other pests). I have a room with a crawl space under it (supported with columns and latice work to hide the columns) So far I have been fortunate. No skunks. I do see them in my driveway at night. I'm always worried that I will step on a skunk at night because it is dark in my driveway.

mstrspy wrote:

after trapping, however, now, because there seems to be a lot of rabies, they do euthanize skunks. Apparently, the percentages are pretty high in this area. Also, showing them the needle avoids startling the animal to prevent spraying. I don't think the skunk has the thought process to think that the needle is a weapon. As far as eating grubs, etc., yes they do and yes they tear up an entire lawn. I've had some small damage, however, the people across had about 50% of their front lawn completely destroyed.
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:41:57 -0500, Art Todesco wrote:

Skunk just tore up a small section of my girlfriend's lawn overnight digging for grub worms.

It may not seem like it, but they are likely preventing more damage than they are causing. What they dig up is generally already dead meat due to the grubs, even if it does not look like it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:20:01 -0400, Joseph Meehan wrote:

Try to tell her that :)

Go to a pet store and pick up a couple of live mice. Place them in her house. After the resulting entertainment ends, tell her skunks are better mousers than most cats. That should change her tune.
Or not. :-)
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 20:24:03 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If I could convince her that skunks eat spiders she would welcome them with open arms. She had severe arachnophobia.