Skunk Remediation

Page 2 of 2

SteveB wrote:

For the house, I don't know, but to remove skunk odor from humans and animals, mix together:
1 pint hydrogen peroxide (3% solution, the most common) 1/2 cup baking soda 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing detergent
The detergent merely keeps the baking soda from settling.
Bathe the pet or human with it, but do not mix these ingredients together before use or store any leftover amount since they can explode in storage. Flush any excess down the toilet, and rinse out the container.

Wring out a lb of ground meet all over poochie. Put it out for the night. Poochie goes away. Cougar goes away because he's not hungry any more. Skunk no longer get surprised and doesn't spray. Everybody wins...well except for poochie.
SteveB wrote:

Bath the dog in store brand tomato juice. It really does work.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne wrote:

Before we learned about the hydrogen-peroxide/baking soda/shampoo concoction, we tried the tomato juice trick on our late great collie, Zeffie. A word from the wise - do not use "country-style" tomato juice. Country style juice is thicker & contains pulp which we learned gets caught up tight in collie fur. Even though we rinsed her well, for weeks afterwards I was pulling tomato pulp bits out of her coat. As well the tomato juice stained her white ruff fur pink. So while it did work in that she smelled better, I found some definite downsides to tomato juice.
Chris