Skunk Remediation

Page 1 of 2
Brief scenario:
SWMBO is visited LAST evening by neighbors who bring cougar pamphlet and info that their cat and two neighboring dogs have been taken by a cougar in the last week. Special instructions to keep pets in at night, not to feed pets outside, special instructions on what to do in case of cougar attack, yada yada yada.
Fast forward 24 hours. You guessed it. SWMBO leaves doggie door left unsecured because it is more convenient to remind me about when I don't do it. Things that MIGHT occur on my watch are IMPOSSIBLE on hers. Cougar has sense and experience enough to let skunks alone, but not our Lab/Rott mix. Dopey evades cougar, but finds skunk. Corgi is pugnacious, narly, and has bitten me three times, but sensible enough not to mess with skunks.
Now what do I do with a dog with skunk musk on it, and a house that is not fit for company. (Arriving Tuesday from Houston)
groan
Steve
--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,
SteveB wrote:

Hi,
I found some nice info using "skunk dog solution" in Google. Best-o-luck!

No, it is not my friend. I have real friends, and I talk to them and I prefer live people. I USE Google a lot. It's just that one has to wade hip deep sometimes through date on Google instead of getting the short answer from a live human, just like on the waiting line on the phone. If I just use Google, what's the sense of a newsgroup?
Steve
[snip]

Oh. Then your response to something I posted just a couple weeks ago of, "Maybe so, but the basically informative information that can be had with a few keystrokes is exponentially ahead of some of the webtvers and cerebrally impaired here. They were not checking on nuclear fusion" doesn't apply to you?
You have a few hours on your hands to wade through the non-nuclear fusion-like topic of skunk scent removal. There are products galore on the market and e-magazines that reviewed some of the wider-available products.
The Ranger

I suggest you get another hobby and quit obsessing over me. Maybe even get a life.
Steve
[snip]

I actually have quite a few hobbies but setting you on edge has more direct benefits.
The Ranger
On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:22:01 -0700, "The Ranger"

Steve, even you have to admit this is funny.

Not nearly as funny as it's going to be when the skunk itself comes through that unsecured doggie door... I can just see Steve's next post, a few days from now: How do you get skunk smell out of drapes and carpet?

Considering the source, not. I have him killfiled, and if you hadn't quoted him, I wouldn't even be seeing what he said. But then, my day would not have been as full as if I had read his post.
Not.
Steve
Steve B whined in message

Publicly listing the contents of your killfile is so dclass. But then again, you just can't help yourself.
The Ranger

Morphing to get in the last word is just a boor. But then, you wrote the book.
Steve
see if you can scrape thogether some of the odor and give it to people for perfume.
Fast forward 12 hours.
Skunk odor is gone. Dog is okay, just a little humbler. Guess she didn't take a direct hit, just enough to hopefully get her attention. Will take all advice under advisement and file, except, of course, the usual suspects.
Thanks.
Steve
The smell stuff is alkali and you use an acid to counter it. Tomato juice is the usual tool. That along with lots of shampoo. Then repeat as needed.....

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

my dog got nailed. Air the heck out of the house and it should be fine.

ROTFLMAO!!!
Couldn'ta happened to a nicer guy. Thanks for brightening my day.
Doug Miller wrote:

works better than tomato juice or anything else I've tried: Skunk Spray Neutralizer developed by Paul Krebaum Ingredients: * One quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide * cup of baking soda * one teaspoon of liquid dish soap (not dishwasher stuff) Directions: * Apply it to the sprayed areas. * Wash off with tap water. The solution must be mixed as needed. It cant be contained in a bottle.
Art Todesco wrote:

As someone with a determined-to-get-even & not overly bright collie, I've had to do this several times. A few additions to your recipe:
1 - The neutralizing solution is most effective if you use a fresh, unopened bottle of hydrogen peroxide. 2 - As dogs often get sprayed directly in the face, it's advisable to put a drop of mineral oil in their eyes to protect them from the neutralizing solution. 3 - Do not wet the dog beforehand, just sponge the solution onto the fur and let it sit for 5 minutes, then rinse it off.
This neutralizing solution is very effective on the dog's skin & coat, however, it cannot remove the skunk oil in a dog's mucus membranes (nose, mouth) and thus it will be a couple of weeks before the dog stops having "skunk breath."
Chris
Not sure about the house. but I've heard that the skunk smell stuff on the dog is neutralized by oxygen. So you pour hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda onto the dog and scrub well. The rapidly releasing oxygen bubbles break down the skunk smell.
The other guy suggested a hit of liquid soap, which make sense.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus