Skunk problems - YUCK!

Page 2 of 2
Doug Miller, 7/5/2006, 12:29:30 PM,

How much tomato juice did you get? Did you just rinse the dog afterwards?

We always wring out the pooch afterwards and enjoy a refreshing beverage.
malachi

Two cans, of the largest size I could find in the grocery, probably 48 ounces each. I rinsed the dog afterward, then shampooed and rinsed again, and rinsed, and rinsed -- took forever to get the tomato juice out of his hair. That would depend on the breed of dog, too, I'm sure. Ours was an Australian shepherd (long, fine, dense, fluffy hair). Something with short, coarser hair such as a beagle or a Labrador retriever might be easier.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Maybe skunks in different parts of the countryt are "made" differently. I have used the "formula" on our dogs with great success. I heard this formula was designed by a chemist and actually neutraizes the chemical in the spray that smells (old wives tale?). Tomato juice only worked a little. Massengel powder, mixed with water, worked better than tomato juice and left a nice smell (along with some residual skunk), but the "formula", as I said, was best.

More likely, your dogs have never gotten the full force and effect of the skunk's discharge. Ours unquestionably got the whole thing at a range of only about a yard.
"Eau de skunk" is a blend of a number of malodorous chemicals, some more volatile than others. A dog that gets sprayed up close, as ours was, gets everything, whereas one sprayed at a greater distance isn't going to receive quite the same cocktail.
--
Regards,

several years ago, 3 skunks got into a fight under the raised fondation of the house I was renting. (The consensus was 2 males fighthing over a female). I had to move out and I thought I was going to go out of my mind everything stank so much, -you name it clothing, bicycles, books absolutely everything I owned. The landlord poured 11 gallons of household ammonia under the house which was enough to persuade the skunks to move out, after a week of traps failed to produce results.
Then a professional cleaning company was hired and they plastic and taped the house shut and sprayed something like smoke that smelled like baby powder that was used to clean up after fires in the house. they treated it twice, that and a carpet shampoo worked miracles. I have a nose like a blood hound and the smell was essentially gone. I could not believe it.
The Natures Miracle skunk stuff helped too, but nowhere near as much as the mystery stuff.

Does your town have Animal Control? Call them. I think they might do something or have ideas.
RobertPatrick wrote in message

In my town (CA) the Animal Control will come and take them away once you've trapped them. Guessing that nobody else has the nerve to get close to the cage with the skunk inside. ;-)
Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in

Now that I think of it, I recall my neighbor had the Animal Control bring her a Hav-A-Heart trap. They came and got it. I don't think it was a skunk,tho. I mean the animal could spray them thru the openings. LOL.
If you call Animal Control in Connecticut, I've been told they will kill the animal. So be aware you may be signing its death sentence. Probably true for all wild animals that they "control". I opened my garage door 9 days ago and frightened a skunk who ran in and fell into my grease pit which was five feet deep. I could not get him/her out. Tried several kinds of home-made ramps. He burrowed into the dirt wall when I went down once to attempt rescue with a box, disappearing into the dirt completely. I did not realize he was there again until two days ago when he must have decided to try to get out but he was stuck. After feeding & watering it by lowering down dishes on the end of a hoe, last night we put down a havahart trap with a rope tied in the handle. This morning we were all relieved that he was caught. We hauled it up and let him out. In the past we transported a skunk out of the area in a trap with a tarp over it. Did not know it was illegal to do so at the time. None has ever sprayed us or our cats. These animals are harmless and not very bright but not agressive, at least if they're not rabid. They're very territorial however and even the babies will fight over a bowl of cat food. The best way is to remove the skunk miles away but this is illegal.
relpo miraculous wrote:

Licensed nuisance wildlife operators, for a fee, will get rid of nuisance wildlife. I shoot skunks when I get the chance. I assume this is not possible where you live. When one of 'em tried to take refuge in the culvert I just put the barrel of the shotgun right in the pipe. Preventative measures can be most effective. Skunks are attracted to garbage. Take care of your garbage promptly and encourage the neighbors to do so. There are no poisonous materials approved for controlling skunks so a live trap is the only alternative to shooting them. You can also attempt to prevent access to the drainage pipe. Here is some more info:
Skunks are a valuable wildlife resource and are generally beneficial to farmers, gardeners, and landowners because they consume a large number of small rodents and insects. The handling of problem skunk situations should be preventive. Control is necessary only when individual skunks become a problem or cause economic losses.
Capturing skunks in live traps has hazards. Skunks are mild-tempered animals; however, they defend themselves with a unpleasant musk when frightened. If you decide to try a live trap, purchase or build one 7 inches by 7 inches by 20 inches. Set the trap near the door of the skunk's den entrance. Use a bait such as fish-flavored pet food. You can also use sardines, chicken innards, or bread crusts spread with peanut butter. After the skunk is in the live trap, cover the trap with old canvas or another heavy material. Transport it very carefully. If you plan to release the skunk, take it at least ten miles away. Handle the trap and its contents gently and keep it away from dogs and curious people.
If you kill the skunk, bury the carcass. The live trap with the skunk in it could be immersed in water until the animal drowns. Skunks seldom spray when underwater. Shooting or clubbing the skunk will almost always cause it to spray.
The best way to control skunks around buildings is to prevent access. Crawl spaces under buildings or porches should be covered with metal screening, sheet metal, or wood. Skirts around mobile homes should be well sealed and maintained. If suspected denning places are to be sealed off between May and mid-August, caution should be used to avoid trapping young animals inside. If skunk activity is suspected, sprinkle flour or ground limestone near the opening and then check for tracks after dark. If tracks lead out of the den, then this opening can be sealed off.
Lawrence

Do a search for skunk bait.
Danger -- this is from someone in Ontario Canada, where the highest incidence of rabies exists in North America. Skunks are nocturnal animals, they should only be out from sunset to sunrise. If they are roaming around in the daylight, acting drunk, acting aggressive or show no fear of humans, there is a good chance that it has rabies. DO NOT go near nor touch a rabid skunk, one scratch from a tooth can infect you. The treatment is painful and if not caught in time can be fatal.

> Danger -- this is from someone in Ontario Canada, where the highest > incidence of rabies exists in North America. > DO NOT go near nor touch a rabid skunk, one scratch from > a tooth can infect you. The treatment is painful and > if not caught in time can be fatal.
Canada sambo is rabid already. I'd fear for the skunk. :-D
dick
EXT wrote:

relpo miraculous wrote:

First of all - Around here a common thing that attracts them, besides garbage, like someone else has said, is grubs in the lawn. Grubs, IIRC, turn into Japanese beetles. Right now the beetles are going strong so I suspect the grubs are gone so that may not be whats attracting them to your area. If it is, kill the grubs and any other food source and they will find a better place to live.
Shoot them if you can, head shot will kill before they can spray.
I'll share a funny skunk story....
Got home from church and there is a skunk crawling in my back yard. It was early afternoon and the skunk was very lethargic. It was obviously sick or injured. No evidence of a recent spray. And paid no attention to me. Yelling scram solicited no response. I, like you, tried to find an animal control. I called local borough office but was patched through to local police. They said that the township had no animal control and suggested to contact an exterminator. They said they sometimes might send an officer out (What to secure the area until an exterminator arrived?) but they were all currently tied up with a traffic incident. I said thanks anyway and I would figure out how to deal with it.
I already knew, at that point, how I was going to deal with it. My Ruger 10/22 is very accurate. I had my wife call the neighbor behind us and tell them to stay in the house (In case of ricochet or the skunk spraying) I then set up position behind my truck and steadied myself on the hood.....
Meanwhile back in the house. Wife answers the phone, its the local police. They said they were now free to come out. She told them not to bother that her husband was going to shoot the skunk. (Its illegal to discharge a firearm in my neighborhood). Fortunately the officer responded about doing so safely and said to call if there were any issues.
Back to the skunk. From my position, leaning on the hood of my truck, I was about 10 or 15 feet away. I figured a head shot would put him down quick and minimize possible spray. My position behind the front of the truck would limit any exposure if he got off a shot. The skunk was definitely ill. I could see a white froth around his mouth and he was laying down. I yelled again to scram. He just lifted his head, looked at me, then laid back down. OK, in the cross hairs of the scope. Yea, Yea, no fair. 15 feet away with a scope! Head in the cross hairs. They have little heads.
CRACK . Just a little twitch from the skunk. Did I kill him? CRACK CRACK 2 more body shots to make sure. Autoloaders are sooo cool and .22 LR Aguila 60gr SSS rounds are very very quiet. No spray or smell.
I then proceed to double bag the beast and put him out with the trash.
The story continues!
I told a few coworkers the above story at work the next day. One guy is a nature guy. He said that the county health department is studying and tracking potential rabid animals and that I should call them to report a possible rabid skunk. So, I call. They say yes they are tracking the rabid animals and wish to perform an autopsy to determine if the animal was rabid. I told them where it was and that they could pick it up. They got there before the trash guys. I told them I wanted to know the results. I wanted to know if there were rabid animals in my neighborhood. They said they would call me back when the autopsy was complete.
A few days passed and I got a call. The person from the county health department told me that to determine rabies they need to examine a cross section of the brain under a microscope. They asked me how I killed the skunk. I said I shot it. They said I must have hit it in the head because there wasn't enough brain matter to conclusively determine if it had rabies! They said that it was very likely it did based on other symptoms and my description of the animal before it was dispatched.
Anyway - Comments or criticisms of my story, technique or suggestion?
On Wednesday 05 July 2006 10:30 a poster that claims to be No wrote:

Entertaining story.
--
Regards,
TimeTraveler