Skunk problems

Page 1 of 2
Sorry for bringing up such a stinky topic!
It's been an on going problem during the summers but seems to be getting worse each summer.
It started a few weeks ago this summer. Skunk smell will make its way into my house on average once or twice a week, always late at night around midnight or so.
I haven't a clue how far away the skunks are from my house. I live in a subdivision with 3/4 acre lots and there's a wooded area pretty close by with all different kinds of animal form there.
In a matter of minutes the smell will seep through my entire house.
Any tips you can offer to minimize this would be appreciated.
I don't keep any food spoils outside nor have a compost. I do have a very small strawberry patch that is covered with net.
TIA
RepairNovice wrote:

Febreeze, and Nature's Deodorizer helped us. I think that's the name. Available at big box stores in the cleaning sections, pet sections, and RV sections. Made to take out bad smells. Takes a lot, and only works until the next skunk shows up.
In a neighborhood north of mine, a few years ago they had a skunk problem. One man went out and shot 28 of them, and they haven't reoccurred in any big numbers since. Still the lone one now and then. If you live in a skunk area, it's like living with squirrels or coyotes or you name it. They been there millions of years and aren't going anywhere.
Steve
RepairNovice wrote:

Hmmm.. I already do have the windows closed. When I start to catch the first whiff I close the air circulator that brings in outside air. That definitely helps, but the house still smells for quite a while.
I need to update the frequency. It's more like three or more times a weeks now.
From what I've read, skunks won't emit their scent unless they feel threatened.
What would be causing the skunks to be doing this at 11:00 pm or midnight? I mean my neighbourhood is absolutely quiet at that time.

Dogs taking an evening stroll, while the skunks are raiding the garbage cans.
On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 01:09:47 +0000 (UTC), Bert Byfield

Yes I realize that this can often be the case.
But in my situation, where I live, garbage cans are only put out once a week and the smell is occurring 3, 4 or 5 times a week.
Also, dogs don't take strolls by themselves where I live, and the dog walking ends around 9 pm in general.

A big horned owl; around midnight, picks up a baby skunk and the baby sprays as they fly by your windows. Or another animal that eat skunks cause fear and panic in the animals. The population will go up and down in due time.
Just a guess you are in Germany and are not allowed to shoot them, late at night.
..

Well it sounds like a bit of a stretch, but you never know.

I'm far from Germany actually. I'm in Canada, and I don't believe I'm allowed to shoot them where I live, not that I would if I were allowed. :)
RepairNovice wrote:

Because you love skunks or hate guns?
Just checking...

Well I don't love skunks that's for sure, but I wouldn't go to the extent of shooting them if I had a gun.
There are very few animals that I would kill, mosquitos being one of them.
I'm pretty sure I will never own a gun in my life. I have no need for one.

Until now.

Its scenting, try pouring a galon of amonia and bleach around the stinky areas
On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 22:07:46 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Let me get this straight.
I have skunk scent entering my house and you want me to pour ammonia and bleach around my 'stinky areas'?
So I pour the stuff all over my house correct?
Now what do I do to get rid of the ammonia and bleach smell?

No you pour it where you think they walk, i did it, it worked for a month. They attract mates by spray. You will only smell it a day.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 05:27:59 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Hey Mark,
First off, I haven't a clue where they walk.
The 'stinky areas' are in my house and I know for a fact they don't walk there!
RepairNovice wrote: ...

I think that isn't so at all...
I'm pretty sure it's a defense mechanism only.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Mephitis_mephitis.html
Striped skunks use scent marking to communicate presence and reproductive state to other skunks. They also communicate visually, by raising their fur and changing posture. Skunks have a good sense of hearing, but their vision is poor. They are mostly silent, but do make a variety of sounds such as churring, hisses, and screams.
charlie wrote:

But I think that's different than the full-bore odor...
dpb wrote:

(Which is what I'm thinking it would take for OP to have such a problem inside which is why I was commenting that I don't think that's the problem he's having...)