skinny Federal Pacific breakers

I ran a new circuit in my brother-in-laws condo that has all FPE panels. I needed a spare breaker and came across the skinny breakers that take up 1/2 of a normal breaker slot. Are these breakers suppose to be that loose when you put them in? They have the 2 brass stab-pins at the end. It does not seem to secure. can I spread the pins out? Are the regular sized "fat" breakers any better?

It seems to be normal for them to be a little wobbly. The full size breakers feel a little more solid, but I don't know if that means the contact is better.

They are, after all, FPE. Once the cover is on, they tend to stay seated

be certain to install in pairs, just leave one unused
the FPE stab lock panels have a excellent reputation as a fire starter; (
search FPE STAB LOCK to learn more than you ever want to know........

I'm well aware of the issues. I just had to install 1 new circuit for a kitchen remodel. The town requires using BX. This is a 70 unit condo all with FPE panels. If they are concerned with me using BX, that should be the least of their concerns.

..
well the last guy to touch the panel might be on the hook if a fire occurs......
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

No, the _panels_ are fine -- there was a specific group of _breakers_ that were a problem.
The current replacements from Schneider are listed and fine.

be certain to install in pairs, just leave one unused
the FPE stab lock panels have a excellent reputation as a fire starter; (
search FPE STAB LOCK to learn more than you ever want to know........
Haller, you need to separate FACT from HYSTERIA, instead you just promote HYSTERIA. Do you really believe that if ALL FPE panels and breakers were death traps, as you advocate, that they wouldn't have been recalled or at least outlawed by municipalities. Do you really believe that they would STILL be selling U.L. listed breakers, if they had a propensity to burst into flames. Use a little common sense

ahh my point was the panel he worked on is likey filled with possible fire makers. since he worked on it, if a fire occurs they will assume it was him.
take a look back he didnt tell that he knew they were trouble till i mentioned it......
the point about new FPE breakers being ok is a good one. a person with a FPE panel might choose to just replace all the existing breakers, but they cost a fortune a new panel might be cheaper.
google FPE and fire.
around here you CANT sell a home with a FPE panel untill its been replaced. obviously your not aware of how hazardous they really are....

the breakers dont burst into flames, they just often fail to trip under a short, and once a FPE stab lock breaker trips once its much less likely to EVER trip again.............
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Again, that applied to a _SPECIFIC_ group of FPE Stablok breakers, not all FPE breakers (and not even all of the Stablok form factor).

I am well aware of the FPE issues. In fact I had one in my own house when I bought it before I changed it 6 months later. As I mentioned this is a condo unit I am working in, and all of them have FPE panels ( with the main breaker in the basement). I might just buy a new breaker anyway just to have peace of mind.
Mikepier wrote: ...

It's nothing to do w/ you (or even the original post any longer, Mike--haller always has to throw in his fud crap which has a bare modicum of a fact but is always blown totally out of proportion to reality... :(
I on occasion can bite the keyboard just so long before feel need to add at least a little reason to temper him.
Almost all is FPE here, too...I have checked which series were used and they're not on the list of those w/ falsified UL test data that did have a problem.
dpb wrote:

Without commenting on hallerb...
There is a list? Can you also determine if a breaker was made in the period FPE was falsifying information? Both would be useful.
I believe the buss in some of the panels is screwed together and can sometimes fail.
FPE breakers can be pretty loose.
--
bud--

bud-- wrote: ...

At one time I did find reference to the affected parts, yes. It's been long enough ago I don't recall where that was. I believe I have a list of particulars squirreled away somewhere--if I can put my hands on it, I'll try to post what I have. My recollection is there is a part no or other identifying mark as well as the series numbers that are identifiers but that is as stated--recollection.
Don't know about the panel issue--never seen any problem on any I have nor have I ever had any significant issue w/ the fit of any in the panels when the cover is in place.
dpb wrote:

Gory details here: http://www.arson-codes.com / Click on Reports and Articles.
There is also a gallery of photos of other (un-related) incidents. Click on Photo Library
Also see: http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm
Jim

oh no there just my over reaction FPE is perfectly safe:(
exfpeguy had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/skinny-Federal-Pacific-breakers-297383-.htm : Actually its fine the way it is. The breaker is manufactured perfectly. the breakers "stabs" will expand when a current is flowing throw the breaker. The breaker may seem loose, but the stabs will hold in place. Don't pry them apart to make them fit. Happy trails

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 350122 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
exfpeguy wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/skinny-Federal-Pacific-breakers-297383-.htm
Another response to an antique thread - this one a mere 12 months old. The post adds nothing that was not in the original thread.
The original did not come from "thestuccocompany". It came from "newsgroups". "thestuccocompany" is a parasite.
Seems like very old, irrelevant, and often stupid, responses come from "thestuccocompany".