Skim coating and Priming ceiling...

I scraped off my popcorn ceilings.... Do I prime before or after skim-coating ? I've read both opinions...

and
Benefits for doing the extra prime ??
As a follow up I found a great site about skim-coating. There's even an instructional video of sorts on the site.
www.texmaster.com
Their magic trowel skim-coating tool looks very helpful.
The pre-skim-coating prime is needed for surfaces that are heavily damaged or questionable such as deep gouges, wallpaper damage, etc.