Skil router problem

I have a brand new Skil router Model 1810. It has a lever to lock the base to the motor after setting the cut depth. With the Base locked to the motor, I can "rock" the motor within the base enough to move the bit 1/8 inch. Needless to say, this makes a very sloppy cut! I have e-mailed Skil but they have not yet replied. Anyone have suggestions.

Reply to
Alfred Loizeaux

The only suggestion that's worthwhile is one you probably don't want to hear: buy a better router. Bosch, Makita, Porter-Cable, DeWalt... but not Skil. It's crap (as you've discovered).

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hi, Skil is an El Cheapo brand. I have Porter & Cable. Solid stuff. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have a Dewalt 618 - around $100 reconditioned from Amazon. No movement whatsoever when it's locked down. I also recently saw a Dewalt 616 go for about $50 on eBay - same router without variable speed. I've also heard good things about Porter Cable and Bosch routers. Hate to say it, but that's your suggestion. Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

Yes, those low prices on Skil, Black & Decker, Craftsman etc, are sooo tempting, but use them once and you'll discover why you should've just spent a little more to get something that's actually made to do the job. Sorry, but all the above posts are correct in addressing your problem.

Reply to
siralfred

I had same problem with fixed base of the Skil 1825 (I think that was the model number ... 2.25 hp, interchangeable bases). I ended up selling it (took a little loss, but not much, even after fully disclosing to the buyer my complaint about the thing) and buying a Bosch. My wife was not happy.

Reply to
Jim in PA

Yep. eBay. Hope you kept the box and papers. There's a reason that you can buy that Skil for $60.

You need to buy a better unit, and yes it will cost a bit more. It's an extremely useful tool and will last a long time. Viewed another way, you'' probably spend more on good bits than you will on the router. So spring for a good one. Porter Cable invented the router and they don't make shitty ones. DeWalt is also good, as is Bosch.

RicodJour

================= As an OLD and experienced woodworker I have to agree .

I currently have seven routers in my shop 2 for hand held use and 5 mounted in tables (regular horizontal, and overhead) BUT most are the very inexpensive DeWalt 610's .. the hand helds are Bosch & Porter Cable .... the 610's are about the least expensive light duty router I would even glance at...all of mine have worked just fine (for what I use them for) ...

Not Ragging on "Skil"...but I think you now understand cheap tools

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Have your wife do the routing with the cheapo and she will change her tune a bit.

My wife does not care what tools I buy as long as I'm happy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Poor tools are time waster and some times it even causes injury. I always get best and keep it for life time. If I can't get what I want, I save up until I can. No junks in this house. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Call them. They will NEVER reply to email, at least nothing more than a canned reply telling you to call them. There's probably an 800 number on their website, Be warned, they will probably tell you to call your local service center, and who knows where that will go. Prepare for the runaround of your life. I think they do that just so the person gets so tired of the hassle they give up and buy a new tool.

If it's still within the store limits for returns, return it and get a refund. Then take that money and double it, and buy a decent brand. Skil makes the worst power tools sold. Even those generic tools using the brand name "Tool Shop" are better than Skil. I'd go with Milwaukee tools, or DeWalt. If you dont want to spend more money, at least get a Black & Decker, they used to make good tools, but they're pretty poor quality these days, but still better than Skil.

Reply to
maradcliff

I would hesitate to buy power tools (or anything electrical) from Ebay. I bought a reciprocating saw on there and the entire saw was literally broken in half. The seller claimed it must have occurred in shipping. I said the box was intact, the plastic case and the STEEL HOUSING inside were broken apart. After a big arguement, the guy said he did notice the screws were loose on the case but he never used the saw. Yet he had it listed as "in perfect working condition". He finally agreed to take it back but only refund the sale price, not the shipping. That meant that it would cost me MORE than I paid for it by the time I ship it back. Fortunately for me, I bought this saw as a replacement for the identical saw which I had for years, but I burned the motor out when cutting down a tree with it. I told the guy I'll settle for half the cost refunded, if I can keep it, and said I'd send him a photo of the damage. He finally agreed. I was able to swap the motors and make a working saw again.

And then there's the computer I bought on Ebay which literally went up in smoke when I plugged it in. Something in the power supply burnt to a crisp. Once again, the return shipping would have cost a bundle. I ended up eating the loss and replaceing the power supply from another dead computer.

I've come to the conclusion that any electrical stuff sold on Ebay is someone elses defective junk. You are only buying parts !!!

I will never buy anything electrical from Ebay again.

Reply to
maradcliff

you buy crap you get crap!

Reply to
evodawg

Thats easy to fix. Sell your wife the same way you sold the router. Take a little loss on her, fully disclose to any guys she dates all of your complaints, and get yourself a better brand wife. She'll cost more, but remember, its' the quality, not the price you pay.

Reply to
anoldfart2

Then YOUR tool must satisfy her !!!! :)

Reply to
anoldfart2

And on the flip side, I've bought a rotary hammer, a gas cut off saw, a sawzall, autofeed screwgun, innumerable hand tools, a laser level, cordless trim saws, palm nailer, Hilti powder actuated tool with magazine, the list goes on and on. Out of about a thousand transactions, I've been burnt once, and only once got a negative feedback.

I'm not trivializing your experiences, just giving another viewpoint. You do have to be careful, check feedback and read between the lines whenever you use eBay. All things considered it's still the best place to buy and sell stuff that I've found.

And, if people are wondering, yes, eBay pays me HUGE amounts of money to say this. ;)

RicodJour

Reply to
nospambob