Skil Drill

Is "Skil" cordless drill any good? it's currently on sale at home depot & canadian tire.

Reply to
Kee

Maybe, how are you going to use it? Once a few months to drill two or three holes, maybe drive a half dozen screws. Yes, it is just fine. You won't see one in the toolbox of a pro though. I won't buy any more Ryobi tools either as they are not made for heavy use. I love my Panasonic, but it is $200. I use it enough to justify the cost.

If you are an occasional user, the (expensive) batteries will die long before the drill. A corded drill may be more practical in that case.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

- Kee -

- Edwin PawlowskiI -

- Nehmo - It might help the discussion if you guys would identify which Skil, Ryobi, or Panasonic you're talking about

.

This 18v Skil for $100 doesn't look bad

But personally, I get most of my stuff from Harbor Freight
Cordless drills get stolen, left on jobs, and dropped from ladders (actually, it's amazing how many drops they can survive). When you get them cheap, they're kind of disposable, and you can buy enough of them to compensate for the failures.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Check to see how large it is I was looking at some drills at HD don't remember which brand but the drill was large which would make drilling in tight places difficult. Otherwise as has been said don't expect anything other than light duty out of it.

Wayne

Kee wrote:

Reply to
wayne

Why? Any Panasonic is better than any Skil or Ryobi. One problem with Ryobi is the cost of replacement parts. A switch was $26 to repair a drill that came in a combo kit for $99.

FWIW, I have the 15.6V Panasonic model EY6432GQKW. Light and powerful for its size. Better speed control, better clutch, one hand bit changes.

I've not used the HF stuff, nor do I plan to. I have used cheap tools and they just don't perform as well as the better tools and can be very frustrating and can lead to damage. . Sometimes for a one use took it is OK, but long term, not a good buy. If you're happy, good for you.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
nospambob

I had a couple of the old 2230 models, and the 2306. Two speed, with charge stand. They lasted me about two years, the replacement battery pack was about $26.

Home Depot had B and D cordless drills for $20, so I bought a couple, and retired the Skils. They should last a couple years. I really liked them.

Skil had an optional leather holster, so you could carry the drill on your belt. I never did quite get used to that. However, I found an alternate use for the holster. If you have it in your vehicle while trying to cross the border into Canada, the Canadian officials will spend most of an hour repeatedly asking where is the handgun. If you have nothing else to do that day.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Canada Customs have prbly been told to turn back any loser american mormons headed north to collect our ample social benefits. So do you think JosSmith was a con man or just mentally ill???

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy