Skil 18V XDrive Cordless Drill

Page 2 of 2

Yes, I have. Also Ryobi and a Porter Cable in case you are interested.
See my other post regarding the differences. A few magazies have doe that in even more detail. This is not a mystery.
My favorite is a Panasonic 15.6 volt. Suites me just fine, may not you. I like the combination of light weight yet penty of pwer and features.

I'll echo this sentiment too.
That said - I find myself reaching for my Skil 14.4V more often than my Milwaukee 14.4V. Four out'a five times the Skil is sufficient.
I ended up buying DeWalt DC727KA. It cost me $40 more than the 18V Skil. You may not believe this, but one of the main reasons for this were all the bells and whistles on Skil, which I found more annoying than helpful. Every time you turn the thing on, the worklite comes on too...If I had bought the Skil, the first I'd do is to put a piece of masking tape over that thing... And that stud finder, which you need to detach and attach....laser level - useless on any surface with a slightest bulge.
I still believe that Skil 18V is fine for around the house, and would have probably bought it if it weren't for those gizmos that were getting on my nerves. For 40 more bucks I got a decent tool, simple and rugged. I hope batteries don't die too soon.
| | I have the skil 18V. I like it. I use an 18V deWalt at work. | | I bought the skil on sale. It was less than half the price of the | deWalt. I find the tool is better balanced in my hand, than the | deWalt. Going on two months of almost everyday use, the battery is | still on it's initial charge. For what I paid, I have absolutely no | complaints and it does the job for me. | | The higher end products have higher quality components. The question | "for me" - Do you really need to purchase the higher end product in | order to meet your personal needs. I'm not a contractor, I'm not | going to be using the tool "hard". Accuracy and precision are not an | issue, like they would be with a saw or another tool. | | The cost savings for me was over $140 difference between the two | tools. I opted for the Skil. | | The only two drawbacks. The case is flimsy. A more rigid case | would have been nice. The laser line gizmo and bubble level gizmo | are made to be used on the drill. The gizmo's are shaped in such a | way that it doesn't have a single flat surface, so they can't be used | on their own. All in all, that's small potatos. The drill, two | batteries and charger were worth the $90 I paid. | | Pat |