"Sixty feet under"

By extracting the heat from the 52 degree water. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it works, and it's done all the time.
This is nothing new. BTW, the worlds largest shooping mall, The Mall of America" in Minnesota has no heating plant at all.
Commodore Joe Redcloud©
Add pictures here
âś–
Commodore Joe Redcloud© wrote:

Sure, but that requires energy to exchange the heat just as an air-source heat pump requires energy to extract heat from ambient air. The OP's reference article stated that the homeowners of the subterrainain house planned their energy costs to be < $150. I just don't see how they are going to get there.
Add pictures here
âś–

I never said groundwater heating was free. It costs about a third of what conventional heating costs to operate, and that was before the recent skyrocketing of oil and natural gas prices.
The Mall of America, using a slightly different approach, spends ZERO DOLLARS for heating, despite being located in frigid Minnesota. They couldn't spend anything if they wanted too, as they have no heating plant at all.
Commodore Joe Redcloud©
Add pictures here
âś–
Commodore Joe Redcloud© wrote:

A heating distribution center would still be a heating plant even if no heat was added to the system at that location, wouldn't it? Rule of thumb: find the warmest room in the building, that's the heating plant. ;)
âś–

Probably using a heat pump, to complete the explanation.
Bob
Add pictures here
âś–
The only smart ones were the local banks that refused financing. He will have a 150$ a year heat bill and keep it at 55-60, not if he has a family he wont. Im zone 5 and my temp at 4 ft goes to 35f , they are dreaming.
Add pictures here
âś–