six month jail time for no permit

Page 2 of 2

If you continue to reside there, your ONLY avenue to POSSIBLE solution is the ballot box. A fatalist attitude, however, is what the elected wonks are counting on to keep their nice jobs.
--
:)
JR

6 Months? That's it?

The particular of that story do sound quite silly.
However, sometimes there are often very good reasons for cities to regulate. About three years ago here in Vancouver, there was a big landslide after a week of rain. It killed one person who was sleeping in her house, hospitalized her husband and eventually led to the shutting down of six more houses.
Turned out that the guy about 100 ft upslope from them had constructed himself a nice big swimming pool in his backyard, 'off the books'. That swimming pool went waltzing down because it was built on unstable ground. Granted the city seems to have been somewhat negligent in allowing the upslope houses in the first place, but there was no way any competent engineer would have allowed the swimming pool addition.

He needed the "eighty two" minute lawyer from Los Angeles. Check in and check out of jail. -- Oren
Bob wrote:

"The Daily Breeze article ... for building on his property without permits has sparked a fierce backlash and a tidal wave of national and media attention."
http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/9440366.html
Cries of "Summon the Rohiram!" could be heard across the land.

Just further proof that America is NOT a free country. This is a fine example of the communism type government which is affecting all of america these days and is worse in some states such as California. We have all been lied to when they told us that this is a FREE COUNTRY.
Just wait, soon we will all be billed for the air we breathe, and will have to get a permit to take a shit. Then we will be billed if we exceed using 3 squares of toilet paper for some sort of environmental tax, and our sewerage will be monitored to determine the amount of paper used.
There is more freedom in other countries than there is in the USA.