Six fans running at all times

Page 2 of 3

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ceiling+fans+wind+chill
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ceiling+fans+cool+breeze+effect
The real problem is the grown kids living at home. The human body generates a tremendous amount of heat, even at rest. Once they are gone the air conditioner and fans could probably be used less. The fans are cheap compared to extra adults.
dss

I have central AC and also continuously operate ceiling fans in the two bedrooms and the living room. It keeps the hot air from collecting at the top of the room. Otherwise, I'd have to crank down the thermostat even farther and end up with cold feet.
The HVAC vents are at floor level as is customary in the North.
Cindy Hamilton

I wouldn't have the fans running in the rooms that are not occupied. I have fans in my den and in the bedroom. I only put them on if I'm going to be in there. But in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a big deal. Those fans don't use much electricity nor do they generate much heat. That's why they are cost effective to begin with. So, you could ask them why they run them in unoccupied rooms, but I certainly would not make some issue of it.
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:10:27 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

That's what I was asking about.
Thanks to you and everyone who offered help.

Maybe I'll do that.

Definitely not.

Ceiling fans help even with the HVAC vents in the ceiling. Mixing air is a good thing. I'd run them in the Winter, too, but drafts make it feel colder so it defeats the purpose. The really don't use a lot of electricity.
a human body produces about the same amount of heat as a 100 watt light bulb

We have the opposite problem, keeping warm. No AC except the odd newer house that has a heat pump that can be reversed to do AC.
BTW here is one quote ...................... "The total amount of heat produced over a period of time is equal to the total calories consumed minus any useful mechanical work performed. If a person consumes an average of 2400 kilocalories per day, the average heat produced is 100 kilocalories per hour or 116 watts.".
Since a kilowatt = about 3300 BTUs that 116 Watts = approx 380 BTUs.
Since it got a little warmer here recently (mid/late June) have noticed can often keep house comfortable with the formal heat off and incidental heat from the fridge, a few lights, in the evening, occasional cooking, couple of computers, maybe the TV, letting the shower water to cool down to room temperature etc.
Also the sun is sometimes in evidence but when that happens of course all the leaves on our approx. 70 trees are out and not much reaches the windows!
Each fan probably does not use any more than say 10 to 15 watts? Or about one tenth the amount of heat of one human body. And fans keep air moving thus helping human perspiration to evaporate and one to feel and be cooler. probaly more efficient than cooling all the air in the house to a greater degree.
Of course if I had the chance I'd build into the side of a hill for easier and more efficient temperature control, summer and winter. Our unheated (except for heat filtering down from the living floor above), almost fully in ground and unfinished concrete walled basement stays around 50 deg F during our winters.
Hmm. So, a baby in a crib creates the same heat as a teenager, who creates the same heat as a granny in a wheel chair? I didn't know that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sure, unless one of them is a politician. ...or posting to the Usenet.

...and?
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 19:01:48 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

And not necessarily the same brilliance?
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:27:37 -0700, Smitty Two

I don't run them all at once, only the room I'm in. Two if I'm going back and forth. And regardless of whether I did or not, I wouldn't be trying to tell them I'm better than they are. Whether their fans are making the rooms they are not in hotter, and costing them money just to be hotter, are matters of fact. And the facts don't depend on the good or bad habits of whoever is teling them about it.

Ok, how much more does it take to suck away the heat generated by a ceiling fan? A dollar a day? Ten dollars a day?
I'm in full agreement that the heat from the fan has to be dealt with by the air conditioner, but how much does that really take?
Should I worry more about the insolation from opening the curtain on the south-facing window so my houseplants can get light?
Cindy Hamilton

About half as much electricity as the fan uses. IOW, an infinitesimal amount.

*Far* more. That amounts to real heat, particularly in the summer. Can you feel the heat from the sun? Can you feel the heat from the fan?

I don't think it's 10. Probably not even a dollar. I've known for a while that I treat different kinds of waste differently. If a movie production wastes loads of film, or gasoline, or has to build a mockup house to blow it up, that doesn't bother me, but if they take this year's model car that runs well and blow that up, I really hate that.
Here what bothers me the most is not the wasting, but that they make heat just to pump it outside where it is already hot. I wouldn't turn off a fan if I were only leaving a room for 5 minutes, or even longer, but I think they just haven't realized that they are making heat with the fans. Like a couple posters said.

Well it's not infinitesimal. The fan uses roughly what the wattage rating is on the fan itself. I've never looked.
The total heat is like you say, twice that much.

I think they do keep their shades closed. They had a big bay window facing east on their previous house and put in special glass and planted a tree to keep the heat out.

Not the best test. The heat from the fan is dispersed all over the room with the blown air. In fact it's in six rooms, so the most one can feel is 1/6 of the heat, and that's if he could be everywhere in one room at the same time.

Nowhere *NEAR* a dollar. I have two running 24/7. I'd notice $60 more a month when they're turned on in April (or so). I don't.

Yes, some people have really silly hangups.

ACs pump it from the inside were it's not already cool. Fans allow one to do less of that, saving money. What's your beef?

A small amount, in trade for better mixing of the air.

Yes, it really is.

No! A device that does what it says it does. Who wudda thunk!

So you're talking from absolute ignorance.

You can't read, either. That would be 1-1/2 times as much.

It *is* a good one. In this case the answer is obvious.

So is the sun's heat.

While fans in rooms not occupied is likely just laziness, I feel that if you can tolerate the wind and the noise, running fans can save money on AC. I do it, so I can set the thermostat a couple of degrees higher, and it works. I have ceiling fans in all rooms, 2 in large rooms, and run them when I'm there. The exception being the upstairs bedroom which has one running constantly during AC season so you can stand to go in there during the setback when it is up to 90 degrees in there. I also have a box fan and a small oscillator which are used infrequently but make living at a higher setting closer to pleasant. Those fractional HP motors all put together don't = the air handler, let alone the compressor & any heat is produced is negligible. Trust me, I'd love to run the AC at 72 degrees, and as soon as I win the lottery I will.

No, fans help move air so AC works better; more evenly.

We do the same, except the ceiling fans in the great room don't get shut off between April and October. The room is big enough that the air needs help circulating, even if the AC is off. Yes, we can keep the temperature several degrees warmer with fans running. I prefer it because I really don't like AC, but living in AL there isn't much choice.
I don't generally run the upstairs heat pump because the downstairs works fine as long as air is moved. It gets way too hot otherwise.

I wouldn't. I don't mind it 67F in the Winter, but 72F feels too cold in the Summer. I guess the difference is the way we dress.
mm wrote:

The only downside I can see is that you might get hit in the mouth for being a buttinsky and accused of acting like a government employee.