Situation advice requested

Page 3 of 4

"Steve B" wrote

Grin, yeah but that's just normal 'southern hospitality' to me. You've seen me post some of the spreads for the guys that I've cooked up. LOL, the fence guy when he scheduled knows us real well and said he'd be there with 3 hungry workers at about noon. Don't scoff, he'd done other stuff here with his crew and I seem to get money off (just a little) and special care (quite a lot!) with the work in return for a good feed bag. Grin, it's one of them 'quiet deals' you just don't mention but I *like* to cook and they know it. It would be different if I was a bad cook I am sure! As it is, they take doggie bags home of fresh biscuits and things like that.

I should have been clearer..(anyone surprised?) What I meant by checking here for advice first is a question like this...Gonna have *whatever* done and was wondering what to look out for , things I should know or do ? Personal experiences , ect....Thank you for any help....Instead you expect Murphy's Law does not apply to you in your perfect world....You should have gotten off your ass and made sure things were right after they left and before the check was sent....That does not require you hover over them all day though sticking your head in once or twice and asking how things are going and offering a coffee or cold drink would be nice......And yes I do ask in alt. Chevy Trucks about whatever repair I need on my truck before taking it in whenever possible...Common sense.....Knowledge is POWER....Another lesson fer ya....Merry Christmas....Time for pie....Mmmmm...

You seem to make a lot of assumptions about me, my post or the circumstances. I never claimed to be part of a perfect world ... if nothing else, as being one in Info Tech, Murphy's Law exists in my world almost every day ... and I live in a house that has provided more than its share of "opportunities" in the 7 years I've lived here. Some were absolutely amazing, but would not have been visible when I bought the house unless I would have taken out the walls. I might be inexperienced and naive in home projects, but it's not an expectation of perfection.

I was around, but not hovering ... and yes, honestly, it didn't cross my mind at the time to inspect what was left or changed. My fault. But I've had various workers in the house from different companies to help with things and such a thing had not happened before. This was a first, but to assume that I didn't "get off my ass" is ... I don't know, do you normally write in such a tone or mean for it to come across as crass as it did given a bad assumption?

I was around and asked if they needed anything, had any questions, if they needed assistance or directions to stores in the area, etc.

Another bad assumption ... the wife always offers coffee, water, soda, or something to munch on.

I normally ask ahead of time too ... but really, you expect someone to ask about whether or not things are plugged in or unplugged, who doesn't work in such a business or never had such a thing happen?
I mean, the list would be a book ...
- ask about whether they're going to be on time or not - ask about inclimate weather policies - ask about whether they're going to take their shoes/boots off - ask about whether they lay down padding, or some type of protection for the floors - ask about whether they bring their own tools - ask about whether they need a dolley - ask about whether the people coming can lift the equipment they're bringing - ask about whether the equipment will be sent ahead of time - ask about whether the equipment needs to be kept in a locked area - ask about whether they need moving equipment - ask about whether they use blankets or how they handle wall/door dings - ask about whether they will bring their own water, or need cups, faucets, etc. - ask about bathroom facilities - ask about whether they swear and could they not in front of the children - ask about whether they will park in the driveway or on the street and/or what to do if they tear up some grass on the neighbor's lawn - ask about whether they need a coat rack - ask about whether they need help with equipment removal - ask about disposal issues - ask about electrical requirements (ahead of time) - ask about ...
Some of these are legit questions, but to ask about every possible scenario that might happen is a stretch.

I agree with the premise that knowledge is power, but that is why professionals are hired, right? The act of being in another's house as a contractor who does this type of work all the time and unplugging something in a utility room, or at least asking if it's all right, is more in line with "common sense," than the client who is supposedly hiring expertise and does not do this all the time. "Common sense" is learned, so in a particular area of expertise, the guy doing it every day (you would hope) would be the wiser of the two parties for this type of situation. Apparently not, but that's not a "common sense" issue ... it's a lack of professionalism on the part of the contractor and inexperience on the part of the client.
It apparently comes down to the fact that I did not think that something so fundamental would have been an issue. Lesson learned, and I'm footing the bill. You apparently have gained experience without lessons learned and like to call people out for their inexperience, and then, ironically, state that *they* are the ones expecting perfection?! It must be nice to be flawless that way.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Now you're going to the extreme...If you had asked the question I suggested you ask before you had workers in you would have gotten responses like my experiences I already posted...
.When I had my garage and addition built I went around every day

See what I mean....Others would have posted their experiences both good and bad as well...Armed with that knowledge your freezer would still be full....Like I'm armed with the likely repair and cost when I take my truck to the shop by asking those who have BTDT or work on cars for a living in the Chevy group....Sorry for the hard time but on the contractor side of the coin it's a constant battle with a sue happy what can I get for free world..As I've said , I have been blamed for things that I didn't do quite a few times so it's a touchy subject....Again , sorry if I was a little hard on ya....Have you checked with your insurance agent ??? Maybe your homeowners will cover it....
benick wrote:

A year ago I had my boiler replaced. I never thought to check to see if a non visible plug was removed from a receptical. If you asked 500 people in the same situation, I doubt you't find many that would think to check the freezer. It is very easy for us to sit at the keyboard and make a judement, but reality is, few would think to look behind thier appliances.

I *assumed* it was behind the freezer as well as most are but his wasn't for some reason... I missed it in his OP too...Here it is..
"chest freezer in our utility room and discovered that the power cord that runs from the chest freezer to the outlet set near the boiler had been unplugged."
I guess it must have been on an extension cord which explains ALOT...The guys probably didn't even know they un-plugged the freezer and BEING RIGHT NEXT TO THE BOILER you should have known they would use that outlet....Also must have been REALLY easy to see it unplugged....I wonder how many times he stood there admiring his new boiler and didn't notice the cord was unplugged ???? It makes it TOTALLY the OP's fault ....And to think I was starting to feel bad for beating up on him a little...Not any more...He was a dumbass....LOL....
When I had a freezer years ago the outlet was behind it and I had a little clamp that held it plugged in..The clamp was held on by the screw in the faceplate...Impossible to un-plug without removing the screw or breaking it....
benick wrote:

There was a story floating around about a hospital in Eastern Europe that was inexplicably losing patients on life support. The doctors were attending to a patient in the cursed ward one morning when a cleaning woman walked in, unplugged the respirator and plugged in her vacuum cleaner. It turns out that this was her habit and she would dutifully plug back in the disabled medical equipment when she was through cleaning. I wonder how long the doctors stood there with their mouths open in stunned silence before taking action.
TDD

It wasn't RIGHT NEXT TO THE BOILER ... it was "near," as in "nearer to the boiler than the freezer." And while you went back to the original post to show this quote, you apparently did not read the one that said that the outlets are labeled "DO NOT UNPLUG." For a guy throwing stones for assumptions, you make a lot of incorrect ones in threads.

Why would I admire a boiler? It's nice, quiet, and I'm while I needed a new one due to the age and deterioration of the old one, it's a functional device. I'm not going to stand and "admire" it any more than I would any other appliance.

How does this make it "totally" my fault? If the unit had not replaced, there would be no problem. If the contractor's help would have not unplugged the unit or if they would have asked, it would not be a problem. I don't deny some blame, but the reason people hire others who specialize in certain jobs is because they should be knowledgeable and experienced in such situations.

Yeah, you're great a piling on in hindsight.

Your an idiot who is trying to blame somebody else for your mistake....Now go check your freezer....

and
Take your own advice and at least spell it right ... it's "you're" if you are going to insult someone.

I see you're coming to understand bennick.
Steve

At least spell it right..It's benick.....I thought you weren't responding to my posts anymore ??? Does that mean we've made up ??? LOL...
Look , the outlet in question was in plain site...He managed to think ahead and placed a Post It on the extension cord plug that said *do not unplug* because of it's location near the boiler and the possibility they would use that outlet but didn't bother to check to see if they did..He couldn't bother telling them that extension cord goes to the freezer and not to a dehumidifier or some such thing and it's critical it remain plugged in and told them where else to plug in....Somebody may have caught something on while removing the old boiler and it got unplugged , who knows...Bottom line he must have gone in and made sure they atleast installed a new boiler , though I admit that might be a stretch......Probably more than once and he missed it in plain site...Trying to shift the blame onto the contractor is BS...If they had been told the extension cord went to the freezer it wouldn't have happened and if he had checked on it it wouldn't have happened.....That's not asking much...Common sense , really...Did I pile on a little ?? Yea , but that's half the fun...If you have a thin skin you probably don't belong here....Though it's pretty tame on here compared to a few years ago...LOL...

Actually, the sign's been there for 7 years. For everyone to see, not just in this case.

And as I shoulder some of the blame, I didn't think that someone would be so unprofessional as to not look to see themselves, ask or note it as something to plug back in. As I wrote earlier, when you pay for a job, you expect people to know basic things.

You're again making bad assumptions.

No ... I'm not shifting blame ... I was kicking myself for not thinking of such a thing, but really, I don't account for every outlet in my house every evening.

Piling on in hindsight on the internet is fun?
"...If you have a thin skin you

Why does someone need thick skin to post a question to a forum? Oh, to not get riled up over anonymous posters who have nothing better to do than pile on someone in hindsight.
You're a fool.
tom snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Shoot....that should have been in the first paragraph of your first post, fer cryin' out loud. Have you contacted homeowners' ins. co.?
tom snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Given the visibility I guess you have some fault, but considering it was labeled "Do Not Unplug" I'd have to still give the contractor the vast majority of the blame. Somewhere in the 75% to 90% range, IMO.

My wife and MIL and I get into heated discussions about whose responsibility it is to remove things from pockets before putting them in the washer. I say the person who puts the article in the washer should check for anything. They say no, the person who puts it in the hamper should. What if the article isn't on the hamper, and they pick it up and wash it anyway? Anyway, we have gone round and round.
Is it the person who uses the lawnmower last whose responsibility it is to check the oil before firing it up? I say no, it is the person who starts the mower.
Had no one messed with the OPs plugs, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He even had it labeled. So, I think the FULL responsibility rests with whoever unplugged and didn't plug it back. At some time the person who used the cord had to go back and get their cord; wouldn't that be the perfect time to put everything back the way it was, or at least check and make sure it was all good to go?
I say yes. And I also say it's the person who puts things in the washer and the person who starts the mower who should check things.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

In our house, nothing to argue about. The rule is simple and known. Empty the pockets if you put something in the wash. If you pick up something and wash it anyway, that would be your responsibility as you are the one putting it in the wash.

Right. That is me 99.99% of the time.

You have a good point, but there are many incompetent and careless people. It is amazing how often people screw up and think they are right. At work, one of the ways I earn my pay is to find stuff like that. I could write a book. In the case of the was, you have to be able to rely on others to do the right thing and have responsibility. At dinner time, do you inspect the food before it is served or do you accept the judgment of the person cooking? Do you pick up the dinner plate to be sure the other side is clean? You do have to accept certain things in life, such as the bus driver knows the route and will follow it.
Steve B wrote:

You hang your clothes on the floor and want them to pick stuff up AND check the pockets? Or do they grab stuff from the hanger and wash for the hell of it?

Don't know how things are in your house, norm, but at mine, we do things out of love and respect for each other. Picking up someone's things and washing them is not out of the realm of our relationship. Leaving clothes in places other than the hamper is no biggie. At times, I come in so gungy or muddy that I may disrobe and leave things in a pile rather than tracking all over the place, or putting oily clothes in the hamper with good things. My wife considers that I went out in the rain, mud, and slop to fix something for US, so she doesn't mind picking up after me. I have seen households where one person will go through and pick up ONLY THEIR clothes, and leave all others where they lie. Whatever.
After cleaning and ironing, my shirts are hung up with the next to top and third button down buttoned. I try to wear some clothes other than underwear more than once. So, if I have worn something, I'll just button the top button when hanging it. When I have worn it twice, I button the third button. At times, my wife will go through my shirts, and retrieve those worn twice when she is doing a load, or needs a few more clothes to make a load.
Sorry things suck at your house. Do you have to do your own laundry?
Steve

In our house, the person who has the experience with what's in their pockets on a day-to-day basist is responsible. And if the machine is broken by something left in them, they get to pay or work off the damage. The person who throws the clothes into the wash may be different each time and it's not their responsibility to figure who might have put something where at any given time.

No ... at least not around here. One maintains the mower (me) and whomever uses it assumes that it is in fine working order when they go to use it and that they leave it in fine working order, or at least bring up any questions/problems when they use it (it sounds funny, it runs harsh, it misfires, the tires didn't seem to track as well, etc.).

I generally would agree with you except for one thing ... clothes are different now and pockets can be anywhere. If I'm doing the laundry, I'm not going to know nor care to check who put something where. If it's in the laundry, I'm going to believe that it's ready to wash ... if you need special attention to certain articles, if you need other requirements, etc., I'm going to rely upon the person with the most experience with what they're doing.