Situation advice requested

Yeah, and listen to long winded stories like this, instead of just advice on what to do now. Which is what you asked for.
Steve

Nobody is holding a gun to yer head...Don't read it..Don't want to have a conversation don't reply....Having to tell you that is telling...

You are entirely right. There is nothing you could write that is worth my time in reading.
Good bye.
Steve

Bye Bye....Take your marbles and go home...Poor sport...LOL...
benick wrote:

Now children, behave, give back his marbles and apologize. You know it's against the rules to use a bowling ball.
TDD

Explain to the owner and see if he'll pay something. If not take him to small claims. Except you'll need receipts. If you don't have any then don't bother. If the owner turns into a real jerk, then report him to the BBB.

I have called the BBB, and been told that "they don't give out that information" when a company has had bad reports. Anyone who pays the money can be a member. It doesn't guarantee they are a good businessperson. And the BBB is a toothless agency if a company is bad.
YMMV, and all that.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Hi, BBB is a joke. They don't have any legal authority. Being a memmber(by paying for membership) does not mean a thing.
wrote

Correctomundo. And I find it amusing that some say "Call the BBB on them", like it will do any good, or like the BBB is Big Brother and will go over there and straighten them out. The BBB is a good business if you're one of the executives of BBB. They're usually run by retired or current businessmen who use the organization to network, get free golf, and find potential customers. The public is a lot further down the line.
Steve
wrote:> The freezer is YOUR responsibility. Knowing contractors were working in

I disagree with this statement.
The contractor unplugged the freezer, which would be OK for a short period of time, but he failed to plug it back in. He might be off the hook if he were to have called the customer and said gosh I was thinking that I may have left the freezer unplugged could you check? But in this case he did not so I believe he was the cause of the food spoilage.
It would have been a different matter if the freezer had died of old age, but the freezer was not the problem the problem was the negligence of the contractor.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:

If one needs to be involved in the work to that level, why even hire a contractor? That would be like saying it's okay for them to leave the water running, and the owner should turn it off. Or that the owner is responsible for wind bracing. What about the little old lady who doesn't have a clue as to where things are plugged in, or if a GFI has been tripped? I broke my back a year and a half ago. What, I'm supposed to get down on my hands and knees and look to make sure the plugs are supposed to be as they are supposed to be? What about the rest of the work area? Owner's responsibility. What a crock!
I'm intentionally not posting the person I think posted this, as it is a part of a thread, and I don't want to accredit it to the wrong person. But whoever wrote this BS knows who they are. They are just compound ignorant. They don't know that they don't know. All further advice and information from this person should be taken for what it costs. Nothing.
It is obvious this person knows very little about what he/she/it is writing about.
Steve
clipped

It seems to me that both parties - homeowner and contractor - share responsibility. The homeowner, to make the workspace ready. I really have no idea of the legal issues, but another scenario - remote - would be to contract for carpet installation. Homeowner doesn't clear the room, so contractor helps move furniture and in doing so a piece of furniture is scratched. Oops! IMO, it is a flip of the coin. "Someone" unplugged "something" to do a job they were called to do. Since homeowner didn't notice the freezer being unplugged for a couple of weeks, it SEEMS logical to assume that the contractor didn't know, or believed, the plug to be something else.

Thus, the OP queried WHAT DO I DO NOW?

In the case of the carpet installation, if the contract did not call for the room to be empty then the contractor would be the party responsible for doing what ever is necessary to install the carpet, and to do the job in a workmen like manner, so the contractor would be liable for the damage.
An exception might be if the furniture was moved to the driveway and the neighbor kid's baseball did the damage, but then the neighbor would be responsible for the kid, not the contractor.
--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Sounds like one of the guys used the socket to plug in a light, tool, etc. The business owner has to know, to remind his guys to replace plugs. And, it's a caution to all other contractors who read this list. Put the plug back, people!
That's really tragic. A moment's neglect, and the freezer thaws. Like others, I'd suggest to call the business owner, and explain it politely.
Another poster's suggestion of a freezer alarm is a very wise idea.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Follow up ...
Ok, so I took the advice on here and called the company, explained what happened and ... it basically rolled off as "gee, that's a shame, it sounds like my guys might have unplugged it and didn't tell me before I left."
I was hopeful for at least some sort of discussion, but it wasn't there.
A couple of thoughts on the matter ...
Generally speaking, it was a perfect storm of sorts ... the GC's laborers came in to get the old equipment out and likely unplugged the freezer for their tools. When the main work was done, they left and probably didn't remember even unplugging the thing, even with a label that says "do not unplug" on the box, as there is a switch in the outlet box (it's 3 outlets and a switch).
I've had some contractors come in and clean up very well, or label things as they were moved or touched, and in this case, there was not as much attention to detail.
To clarify some of what was in some of the posts, this did not happen "weeks ago," it was one week ... how often does one go into a chest freezer for bulk items a week before a major holiday? In our case, we didn't cook much knowing that we would be doing so for the holiday, so it was the first time we noticed. I guess one could argue that we were "stupid" for not ensuring that our appliance was still plugged in, but after 7 years of having no such issues with little children around, it didn't occur to us that 30yo's would do such a thing or not at least ask whether or not something was critical when they unplugged it.
The freezer was not moved (as one post discussed the circumstance).
For the post about "on first knowledge," I wanted to ask for information from those likely experienced with the issue first. I heard about it when my wife called yesterday. As soon I was home, I posted and we cleaned out the bad food. Maybe I'm naive there too, as it was after 5pm and I waited until the next business day rather than bother the guy after-hours ... I at least try to be polite.
With regard to "observing the work" posts ... I've read in the past where some contractors do not mind, but some hate being observed. I don't like people looking over my shoulder, so I tend to let "pros" be "pros." I guess that I'm naive there too.
With regard to the "I do my own jobs" or the "I watch every step my contractor makes," posts, I don't know what to say ... yeah, maybe you know every electrical code, housing code, and have the time to watch every step a guy takes and every move he makes, but for people who are hiring people because that is not our expertise, we expect that licensing and certifications and experience and referrals hedge that bet because we pay for that in the rates people charge. Otherwise, you're arguing against the industry to not trust any of them and to "do it yourself" (basically).
To benick ... yeah, I learned a lesson, but to suggest that I should have posted *before* something happened is just ridiculous. When I go to a mechanic, I don't ask "should I ask whether you'll put the car back together after your guys are done replacing the part that is not functioning properly?" It was a negligent issue on their part ... I work on networks, but if someone asks me to help with their home PC or network and I agree, I don't just go delete files off their system and then say, "tough sh*t, you should have told me not to do that" after the fact.
To that, I accept part of the blame as well. Apparenlty, I should have taken pictures before/after, checked that every piece of the room was back in its spot before/after, stood there watch every move the guys made and somehow have known that they installed the equipment properly, to code, and set it up to the optimal configuration.
I don't know ... somehow I think that most contractors do not want a homeowner looking over their shoulder every moment, asking about how/ why at every turn. But I guess that's what it takes.
Lesson learned ... I am eating the cost and am thankful for the replies. I will get a freezer therm for the future and look at things differently going forward.
Thank you.

It's unfair for you to eat the total cost. I'd file a complaint with your local agency, and let them give you a third binding opinion. As with some complaints, you may strike out there, too, but it doesn't cost anything, and I think you should have gotten at least a better response or attitude from your phone call.
Steve

What was the food worth. He has liability insurance, but since he doesnt seem to care send him a bill of what you think the food costs to replace. Maybe include a note on your conversation with him and that he at least must share in your loss. Id record any future conversations with him. Bad thing is now I wonder how he will handle your warranty work you paid for already. He knows one bad refrence is worse for him than 100 good ones, so give him time to think about your bill of food cost that you lost.

Hi Tom. It's been a long thread and I've read much but not all oif it. Here's my overall take. Yes, I watch contractors but i don't hang over them every second. Last time one worked in the garage (where my freezer is) I warned them that if they needed to unplug it, fine but to let me know (so I'd know to check it). They did infact need the outlet and warned me.
Perhaps it was the mere mention of it, or that I opened it and pulled out food which I fixed for the guys, but they remembered to plug it back in. I checked though.
In my case, I'd have noticed it sooner but it may have been too late if in high summer. I know I would have called and left a message right away (as I was cleaning it out) but I wouldnt have truely expected more than the fellow to feel bad and warn his crew to avoid future occurances. At most I would have expected a partial renumeration in the form of some sort of 'money off' for a future job. Sort of like 'hey, I know we were looking at that fence part, let me give you a 100$ off on that offer I left you'.
PS: I go in my chest freezer almost daily and definately would when I have contractors. I'm known locally by them as a good cook and I always feed the guys. You'd be amazed at how they react when they sniff the fresh bread baking (which they know is for them) mixed with the rotisserie chicken they helped me lift out the day before for their lunch, and the lentil-tomato-peanut stew for the vegetarian which makes them all a nice side dish. Thats just one sample meal, lots of others.
wrote

Cooking for the guys, providing some soft drinks, or water definitely will get you some points.
Steve