sitting toilet on base

The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking.
I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange before I shim it...so what's the best way to locate these bolts? They tend to rotate as they're being tightened, then they pull out of the holes.....thanks much

You may need new bolts or flange. They come with a rectangle head that should not turn.
To keep them upright while sitting the john I pack the slot with pinches of the old wax ring. Or if that turns your tummy splurge for 98 cents and buy a clean one for the packing.
--
Colbyt
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:31:45 -0500, "Colbyt"

OK thanks for the info. I'll clean the wax off and have a look...

Yea but I've seen them turn somewhat before the oval head catches and I don't like the idea. What I've come to do is use a Sharpie to draw a small line on the end of the bolt beforehand so I know the position of the head once it's concealed. A small slot is nicer if a tool is handy.

Looks like at least two of us came up with that one.

On 11/27/2010 5:44 AM, bpuharic wrote:

if they bolts are in the flange properly they won't spin or come out.
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 08:36:59 -0600, Steve Barker

thanks steve...i'll clean off the wax and have a look...hard to do!

Gee I just did the same thing and I found that the bolts would spin, when in the flange's slot, but would not come out. So I didn't worry about it too much. But I still would have preferred to have the long axis of the rectangular bolt head perpendicular to the slot - if I ever do it again I hope I remember the Sharpie idea. --H

What I do is to use to extra nuts and thread them down to the bolts and hand tighten against the flange, this allows the bolts to not move and spin as you lower the bowl through the two holes. Then you put in the nuts to secure them to the base of the toilet.
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:24:32 -0500, "MiamiCuse"

Good idea! i think there's enough room between the base of the toilet and the flange to do this...
thanks

Hmmm. Just might have to try that if the occasion comes up again.

That's a good trick that I have used with some of the old metal flanges. Never felt the need with a properly set ABS or PVC flange.
Colbyt
On 11/28/2010 06:24, MiamiCuse wrote:

The extra nut also helps prevent free-spinning of the bolt when the toilet is removed. Room for the flange contact bolts should be available; it's in the wax gasket oozing area.