Siphoning gas out of a Chevy Lumina?

Page 2 of 2

I'm not too sure you'll find an easy way to do it. During the Ice Storm of '98 my nephew came over and managed to pull a fuel line and jump the pump to come on and we got gas that way, but ... it's not for the inexperienced. I've tried and tried but never gotten more than a couple gallons out of an overfull tank. Seems like it just can't be done.
I've tried many times to figure out how to do that myelf; I'd rather have my fuel storage in a gas tank than a bunch of fuel cans stashed in the shed. So far I'm still storing about 35 gallons of fuel in 5 & 6 gallon plastic containers each winter. Luckly they get used up in the lawn tractors, exercising the genset weekly, things like that, or I'd also be stuck with a lot of stale gas. So far we've needed the genset three times for more than a 24 hr period since '98; so it's been worth it, but ... . At least it's handy not having to get gas all summer. My next genset will ge a diesel!
--
Cheers,

Twayne
JohnH wrote:

Disconnect the fuel return line, attach a hose into your can and turn on the key. The fuel pump will fill your can.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8