Sinks and vanities

I'd always thought that my vanity sinks looked asymmetrical. When I removed one, I found it was true: two inches of the sink top and the vanity were buried in the drywall.

Is this normal? I think the vanities were built in with the house, so the builders were able to arrange the doors asymmetrically, but I assume replacement vanities from the store would be symmetrical and I wouldn't have two inches of cabinet to bury in the wall. Besides, I'd like my sinks and vanities to look symmetrical. Is there any reason for the arrangement the builders used, and was there anything wrong with it?

Reply to
Harlan Messinger

A hack job by whoever put it all together in the first place. Wrong vanity and/or the waste line came out of wall or floor in the wrong place, and they 'made it work' rather than step back and think and do it the right way. I assume it was buried in the side wall? Maybe that wall is so far out of true, that was the only way they could get a flush fit- add another layer of drywall. I'd strip that wall all the way back to the studs, and see what is going on. A vanity and molded top tucked into a corner or recess instantly makes any out-of-square conditions in the room jump out.

Reply to
aemeijers

snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I converted a larger half-bath into a full bath and I wanted to use a porcelain top to match a toilet color. The only available top was too wide for the available space so I recessed the right hand side of the top about 1" into the wall, which was an inside wall common with the attached bedroom. I assemmbled a vanity from and IKEA type store, cutting it down to fill the slightly narrower top. The sink is slightly off-center, but no one has ever noticed it, not even me until you posting.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks for the confirmation. The quality of the vanities themselves corresponds to the quality of the installation.

Reply to
Harlan Messinger