Sink vent horizontal out wall......legit?

I recently gutted my entire kitchen and I am in the process of rewiring and plumbing. I am curious about the possibility of running the drain vent for the sink up the exterior wall and then going horizontally out of the wall (not up through the roof and flashing. The reason I am thinking of doing this is because this is a circa 1880 Victorian and the Top plate for the studs, is swear, is the most gigantic piece of timber I have ever seen, they did it right in the good 'ol days! The vent currently exists going through the roof put all the plumbing was interior to the wall, (mainly to avoid this massive top plate. I am just trying to keep the pipe inside the wall and bypass this column of wood by going out the wall beneath it.
I know local codes vary but has anyone else seen this or done this in the past? Thank you kindly!
Not to answer my own post but I noticed a response to a question for island vents and the response pointed to www.studor.com and installing an Air Admittance Valve. Can that be a solution? Using something along those lines rather then even rerunning this vent line and making more holes in the side of this old house? I assume not since then people would already be using it as a replacement for all general plumbing venting. Thanks again.
Mike Plate wrote:

We have a bathroom at work that has that setup. Works well for a couple of years so far.
Thru the wall is illegal everywhere since sewer gas could reenter your home. Sewer gas CAN be explosive. from natural gas getting in line or some jerk dumping gasoline down a sewer....
besides methane from regular rotting of stuff.
the inside air entrance valve may be OK but must be above the level of the sink and forever accesible, since it might go bad.
You could build a chase around a new vent line. Use it for other stuff like power lines too.
Note if your remodeling PVC is great but noisey:) Hear water cascading thru lines:(
You can transition to cast iron for such areas using fernco like couplers no lead needed.
A line in our dining room must be bad, plaster is starting to spall:(
I will replace that section with cast iron becauise of noise. everywhere else PVC is fine by me
Is the OP{ upgrading electrical too with all new GFCI circuits at least 2 20 amp dedicated counter circuits and seperate circuilt for dishwaser.... fridge .... etc?
have walls open do it RIGHT!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Surprisingly, that's no longer true -- IRC specifically allows side wall venting in specific circumstances, meaning it's legal in a large number of states that have adopted IRC without amending that provision. They do put some serious restrictions on it, but it's legal.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

No way you can easily go horizontally and tap into an existing vent stack?

You are just talking about going around the beam outside the house, the air coming down the vent will never know it went around the beam. I know allot of old homes all the plumbing was outside. The only problem would be the looks, but I'm sure you could box it in. Going inside would look better but I'm guessing the vent would have to come threw the floor in an upper room.
Thank you everyone for the information. I am the proud new owner of the Massachusetts code book now and apparently it is "legit" to do a horizontal vent. The only constraint is that it needs to be further out then the roof eve's so as not to be sucked back in for the sofet venting. So it is legal "around here anyways" to kick out the side of the house for venting purposes. This book is going to help! ;)
Sacramento Dave wrote:

Through-wall venting is legal under IRC but prohibited under UPC.
IRC allows it at least 10 feet from the property line, at least 10 feet above the highest grade within 10 feet, and not allowed under a vented soffit.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/