Sink trap(s) question

We are thinking of a kitchen remodel and are wondering whether we can make better use of the under-sink space than exists now.
At present each of the two sinks has its own trap in the under-sink space -- one immediately beneath the sink, the other immediately beneath the garbage disposer. The trap immediately below the first sink makes it difficult to anything with the space, such as install a slide-out trash receptacle. Any reason why the traps can't be in the basement below? And does each sink need its own trap anyway?
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The two basins can share a trap. It's just to keep the sewer stink in the sewer.
I'd consider saving even more space by having one giant rectangular basin with one drain into the disposal. The divider in kitchen sinks just gets in the way.
A discussion on sink types: http://tinyurl.com/ghgvt
On 08/01/06 02:28 pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

That's another possibility we're still discussing -- also the small sink + big sink option.

Thanks.
Perce