sink stopper

Why can't they make sink stoppers like they used to? I remember when I could twist the sink stopper and lift it out of the sink so that I could clean that sucker. Now it's locked in and I have to remove the nut on the pop-up assy (where ever that is). I don't think that makes cleaning a whole lot easier. Now my husband just pours Drano down the sink in order to clean out all the hair that is caught in the sink stopper. I have half a mind to throw out the sink stopper and just get a rubber plug.
Does anybody know of a manufacturer that makes sink stoppers the right way?

You need a new sink or a new husband or both.

Googling "rubber sink stoppers" yields a couple of options (in addition to your neighborhood handware store):
1. http://www.acehardware.com/sm-sink-stopper--pi-1368602.html
has an apparently indestructible stopper w/chain for $13-something. Can pick up free at Ace Hardware dealer. Need to specify drain opening size,
2. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Amazon has the flat rubber stopper fir $1.49, but be careful that it will fit siml. More often used in tubs. Still, who says you can't trim to size? Am almost sure these can be found at hardware stores.
3. http://www.wmharvey.com/prod/cat11/sink_tub_drain/stoppers.php has every conceivable rubber stopper, but have to order in bulk. (Mark up the extra and sell to your neighbors <g>
HTH
(anybody remember you had to take your own stopper to Russia and probably other countries way back when, Never understood that!)
Aspasia
Patty wrote:

You still can. The sinks that I've seen (and installed) have stopper mechanisms that allow the stopper to be installed in such a way that the lever moves the stopper both up and down (normal way). You can also install the stopper so that the lever only raises the stopper and the stopper can be simply pulled out.