Sink Removal

I am replaceing the laminated counter tops in my kitchen.

I need to remove the sink, its cast iron, going to replace it, but its not held in with brackets, I think its held in with a sealant.

Any idea's on removal, besides a flat pry bar hammered in on the edge.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

I've done this exactly one time so my method doesn't have a long track record...

Disconnect all plumbing. Put a hydraulic bottle jack in the cabinet under the sink resting it on a large piece of 3/4" plywood to spread the load. Put blocking between the jack and applied enough pressure to make things creak a bit. Cut around under the lip of the sink a hacksaw blade to attack the sealant. Once I and weakened it a bit the sink started to rise under the influence of the jack and at that point I was able to cut the rest of the sealant and remove the sink.

Of course I was intent on SAVING my sink. If you are going to trash yours anyway you could just score the countertop with a circular saw set just deep enough to go through the top but not damage the cabinet. Then just knock everything apart and haul it out.

Reply to
John McGaw

My ignorance of your situation may be misleading me but ...

If you are replacing both the sink and counter top, why bother removing the sink first? After removing screws that hold the counter top down and disconnecting the sink, just lift both the sink and counter top at the same time.

Reply to
O.B.

I am replaceing only the laminate, sorry I did not clearify that in my first post.

Tom

Reply to
tflfb