Sink problem

I have a problem with my sink. I am wondering if anyone might have ideas about what I can do to solve the problem. My sink has a sprayer attached to it. When you use the sprayer the water to the sink faucet is temporarily stopped. When you stop using the sprayer the water to the sink faucet resumes.

Over time, when I use my sprayer the sink faucet still lets water out. This decreases the pressure from the sprayer. I am wondering if there is something simple I can do to fix this? It seems the mechanism, which holds the water from going out of the sink faucet, is failing. I would appreciate any ideas you may have about this.

Thanks Chuck

Reply to
Chuck and Erika Douglas

Every such faucet has a "diverter" valve built into the base of the spout assy. You will need to find the Mfr name to get specific instruction how to disassemble.

Depending on the brand and model, the parts may be readily available (or not).

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

  1. As Speedy Jim said, replace the diverter

  1. Buy a new faucet

  2. Right handed? Stick your left thumb over the faucet

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I just replaced the diverter on my 5-year old kitchen faucet and it was very simple; I didn't even have to turn off the water feed. FortunatelyI knew my manufacturer (Moen) and model number because I saved the box, and they sent me the diverter with instructions for free.

As it turned out, the diverter wasn't the source of my problem (water

*only* came out of the faucet). It was the button on the sprayer handle which had gotten stuck in the down position. I disassembled the sprayer head and got the interior plastic button loose with a needle-nose pliers. It still sticks on occasion so they are sending me a new sprayer.

(The funny thing is that I really did "buy it for looks" and I'm amazed at the service!)

Curly Sue

It's not always the diverter valve.

Anything restricting the flow through the hoze and nozzle can cause that failure to switch the flow over completely. (At least on my Delta single lever faucet.)

I had the same situation as the OP, and swapping in a new diverter valve didn't alter the situation. Turned out the a rubber washer at the joint between the hoze and the nozzle had swollen and restricted the flow.

The diverter valve needs some minimal amount of back pressure from the hose in order to flip the flow over completely. Simply punching the hole in that swolen rubber washer made the sprayer work perfectly again.

Try taking the nozzle off the hose first and see if the flow diversion works as it should. If it does, look for a restriction (Could be plugged nozzle holes too.), If that doesn't help, then go after the diverter valve.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I had this problem wtih my Bridgewater faucet. The problem turned out to be sand and particles in the center.

The solution: The "spout is the part in the center that swings" It has a big nut that you can unthread. If it's not too badly rotted on. Remove this big nut. You might call it a "cap".

Gently turn on one or the other faucet, and a plastic assembly will lift out of the center. From where you just unscrewed the cap. You'll spill some water, migh twant to have a towel or sponge handy.

Note which direction is up and down. Bang the little plastic thing on the counter, and maybe take it to another sink to rinse out, and bang it some more on the other sink.

Reinsert. Screw cap on spout. Try it again.

Remit $48.50 for advice.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon