sink hold down screws

greetings, after successfully installing my new kitchen countertops and cutting out for the sink (stainless ) i am now at my wits end trying to pull the sink down flush with the countertops. the clamps i have that fit into the slots underneath came with slotted screws with the smallest slot you can imagine. there is just no way i can get the screwdriver into the slot to tighten it down. is anyone aware of a screw to fit these slots that is at least a phillips head or better yet a head that will accept a small socket. any help would be appreciated. cj
What brand of sink came with these screws? If the slot is too narrow for your screwdrivers, you may want to shop for a new screwdriver with a very thin blade, I have seen them come in all different thicknesses, some are too thick for some screws, as there doesn't seem to be a standard for slot screws and drivers. Alternatively, you could file or grind a screwdriver to the correct thickness for the job. Finding a replacement for the screws could be difficult because they may be an especially manufactured version for this specific purpose.

EXT wrote:

i dont recall the brand of sink it is (reusing the old sink on new countertop ) and i do have the proper screwdriver. the problem is that it is very tight between the sink sidewall and cabinet wall. the type of screw/clamp i'm fighting with can be seen here...http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/kitchen/sink/stainless/basin.htm...scroll down a bit. it would be much easier if the screw had a larger head . cj

Get a thin screwdriver as long as you need and get the screws as tight as you can before you slide them into position. The last time I had to do this I used another long bigger screwdriver to kind of maniplate the screw into place and hold it so I could get at it with the thiner screwdriver.

If you would omit the dots in the future, people could just click on the url. A space before and a space after, even if the senetence calls for punctuation. I had to click on reply to delete them so for the same clicking, I'm letting you know.

cj wrote:

It's obvious why the screw head is so small, it;s so the screws could be threaded through those clamps.
Maybe you could widen the slots a bit by holding them in a vise and using a hacksaw on them? Can't tell without seeing your parts whether thst would weaken them too much or not.
But you certainly could file down the blade of a cheapie screwdriver to thin it enough to suit those slots.
If you really want to "gild a turd", pick up some hex nuts which just slip over those "screw heads" and silver solder one onto each screw after they are threaded through the clamps. That way, you could use a hex driver on them and not get frustrated with a screwdriver slipping out of the slot because of the inconvenient angle of attack. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
thats what i'm going to do. there is no way to hold the fastener/screw steady with one hand and try to get the screwdriver seated in that tiny slot and keep it there to tighten. crazy glue should hold the hex to the pinhead of a screwhead cj
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

The ones I ve seen can be tightened with a nut driver (hex head) rather than a screwdriver