Sink Drains

I am having my bathrooms remodeled and would like to keep my sinks, but replace the metal drains.
Is this easy to do, or do I risk cracking the sink basin?
Many thanks.
Kate
Kate wrote:

Yes, it easy to do. Especially so when the sink is out of the cabinet.

You don't have to tighten much more than hand tight.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

unless the sinks are high end pedastals or something.
if you remodeling a room just replace it all..........
otherwise minor issues with reused stuff looks bad, and detracts from the entire job

There is always a risk but in most cases with careful work it is minimal. The greatest risk is in the removal of the old. Treat with Liquid wrench or similar, let it sit a day or two then carefully remove the old unit. Clean well before installing the new; plastic and liquid wrench don't play well together.
--
Colbyt

Hi Kate:
We've missed you for a few weeks. With everything that you have been doing, the sink drains should be easy. I would suggest going to a big hardware store and look at the various pieces of plumbing for drains. All of them will have a rubber gasket on the bottom side of the drain to help seal them against leaking. You put the drain pipe thru the sink opening, with some sealer (I use sikicone rubber) on the bottom of the tailpiece that goes inside the sink, then put on the gasket and the securing nut and push them up to the threaded portion of the tail piece and tighten snugly, The sealant should be squishing out a little at both the top and bottom. Wipe of the excess and finish conecting the remaining pipes and turn on the water. It really is easy and you should be able to do it in well uner an hour. Use the pieces you remove to size the replacement pipes. Unless a goriila installed your present pipes, undoing the nuts and removing the old pipes should not be difficult, unless the house is 100 years old. Do what Colby suggests if the old pipes don't remove easily.

Unless there is something very unusual it's very easy to replace the drains, especially when they have to be removed anyway.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I have found on disassembly that rust, corrosion, and crud were all that was holding it together, and once it is disassembled, it might not go back on and not leak. You can replace with metal, but the new plastic is functional, cheap, available, and easy to work with.
Steve
visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com free books while they last!

She wants to keep the sinks and lose the drain assemblies. There will be no problem doing that. If the drain is totally munged, it can always be cut out with reasonable care.
On 8/18/2010 11:16 PM, Kate wrote:

Everyone:
Thanks so much for all of your great feedback. I went to Home Depot today and I purchased three sinks, and three new faucets. I decided I did not want to put money into new cabinets and vanity tops, and use the old sinks. The sinks were only $39 each, and almost like what I have.
I just felt this makes it all so much easier.
I will need to hire a plumber anyway to install the faucets.
Thanks again. What a great group of knowledgeable people.
Kate
Kate wrote:

Faucets are easy too. Put them on the sink (through the countertop holes) before you put in the sink. Once the sink is in, just connect the supply lines on the faucet to the water inlets.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Install the supply lines on the mixing valves before placing the sink in the counter. Dry fit everything before permanently mounting the sink. It makes it even easier. No plumber needed.

And here's a straightforward video on how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb98_FARbRc

On 8/20/2010 5:52 AM, RicodJour wrote:

try it.
Thanks.
On 8/20/2010 5:45 AM, keith wrote:

Before you start, make sure the valves under the sink are not frozen and that they shut the water totally off. If any of that is an issue you may have to shut all the water off either at the meter or the valve right after the meter.

Thanks for posting the update. I often wonder how something turned out afterward, but people rarely post an update. Glad it worked out for you.
On 8/20/2010 5:26 AM, RicodJour wrote:

finished. I am still getting bids, and it will take about a month to get the cabinets.
RicodJour wrote:

Splurging once in a while is okay, especially for stuff you will be staring at 2-3 times a day. If the old sinks are basically sound, please don't trash them- donate them to Habitat ReStore or similar. Some poor DIY or landlord will use them to upgrade a bathroom that was even worse than yours, so two people will benefit from your purchase. It's a karma thing.
--
aem sends...

On 8/20/2010 2:48 PM, aemeijers wrote:

apartment building. This man is 84 and works night and day on his building. It is quite the show place, and he is pleased as punch to get them. He even likes the faucets. The pride he takes in this building is amazing. While I am sure he can afford new ones, I just feel good about doing this. They are good people.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Sink-Drains-460145-.htm angela25 wrote:
please provide me information about this forum