Sink Aerator Washer Failure

The flat rubber washer in my bathroom sink spigot split and now water leaks from the threaded joint where the aerator attaches to the spigot.
Checked a few places for a new washer but can't find one. At this point, I've probably burned more gas than a new aerator from Home Depot costs.
Before I pop for one though, I'm wondering if I could just substitute a plain round/tubular O-ring from my large stash for the flat washer. If it worked, would it last?
--
Somewhere along the line, politicians discovered it's more fun to tell
people how to live than it is to fix potholes.
On 1/12/2016 3:12 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

I know a way to find out!
If it's the appropriate replace the damaged one with the O-ring. It will work or it won't. It will last or it won't. What is the problem here? It's not like it will suddenly burst and flood the house if it fails. It's not going to get a lot of wear either, you insert it, thread on the aerator and that's that.
On 1/12/2016 4:12 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Sure, if it fits.
You do realize a new aerator is less than 5 bucks. Did you burn 2 gallons of gas yet?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ha, Ha, Ha! Right on.