Single side lever tap

I have a single (right) side lever tap. Problem is that hot/cold water is not regulated by pushing lever left and right, but by pushing lever up and down. Which direction should be cold and which hot?
Thanks for the information.

Guess it would depend on the design... :)
New Danze I just installed on/off is up/down and hot/cold is back/ forward, respectively, when facing the sink (again, right hand lever). If you face towards the tap, hot is then to the right, cold left. That's following conventional connection label -- reverse it and the hot/cold direction would reverse.
dpb je napisal:

So there is no rule to prevent people to get burned when they visit another flat?? Numer of single side lever taps is rising very quickly these days.
Marko

Don't know if all manufacturers are following same convention or not -- would sorta' presume so, but didn't see anything while looking/ selecting the new one and don't have enough "hands-on" w/ them to have a good sample. Of course, I originally chose a two-handle model not intending to use the side-handle but realized when the new sink was installed there was insufficient clearance on the rear for that given the deeper double sink on the one side so was forced into the single handle and the side tap was the only one available in the style had selected. Consequently didn't do a whole lot of research on that point, so the data may be available but it wasn't on my radar screen while looking.
As said, this is direction this one moves when following the convention of plumbing hot to the left (which is US convention anyway). By the use of "flat" one presumes you're not... :)