single handle faucet versus two faucets?

Page 1 of 2

My kitchen faucet broke. Time to shop for new kitchen faucet.
Single handle faucets for both hot and cold water are convenient. But apparently people still buy two separate faucets. Why? What is the pros and cons?
peter wrote:

Personal preference driven by aesthetics or familiarity.
They're both outdated anyway. http://www.pedalvalve.com/Residential%20Page.html
<brevity snip>

to push a button to tell the time. Now you have to use your hand and foot to get water... presumably because those hand valves are just too damn inconvenient.
I'm a one-handle man in the kitchen, two in the bath, and only 8" models there. -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

You've obviously never used one and you haven't given the idea much thought to make a comment like that. Do I really need to point out the hygienic factor? Silly people who like to waste time, like medical personnel, have been using them for years. They have also been standard in parts of Europe for years - notably public restrooms. I'd also hazard a guess that you're not the one who washes dishes in your house. Being able to turn the water on and off while your hands are full is obviously an advantage. Unless, of course, you miss the days of hand brakes in cars...
You don't need to touch the faucet with foot operated pedals unless you want to adjust the water temperature, and some of them let you adjust temperature with your feet as well. Considering that 90% of the time I like the water at a specific temperature anyway, what's the bother?
<brevity snip>

Yeah, I guess you do. Unless we are to presume everybody most often wishes for the same water temperature. What I consider hot Ms. gpsman considers too hot.

Medical personnel can set their hot water heater/s to a lower temperature than the average homeowner and use straight hot, and more often than not outside the operating room use extended handles that can be operated with elbows, for a hell of a lot less money, and with far fewer complication/s.

Well that's a slam-dunk selling point. Whatever is standard in Yurropeein public restrooms is what I want in my home.

Nice analogy...
Here in the gpsmanland we suffer the ultimate inconvenience of setting the dishes down before turning on the water. When I think of what I might accomplished with my life using the saved time...

I most often want to adjust the water temperature, and pressure, and I don't need additional steps (pardon), nor the option to do so with my feet.

I don't know. Can you set the specific water temperature, or is adjustment necessary?
Seriously though, I have considered it. Considered adapting and/or marketing the hospital-type units for home use, a couple decades ago. After considerable thought I dismissed the idea as impractical, on many levels. -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

Actually, I could see it being useful when rinsing dishes, filling large pots, or washing hands after handling raw meat.
However, it costs several hundred bucks for the cheap one, and over $500 for the fancy version.
Too rich for my blood.
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

Hey, Chris, I was just posting the first one that popped up in my search - I wasn't doing your shopping for you!
Here's one that's ~ $250. and has more features. http://www.footfaucet.net/how_it_works.htm
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:43:02 -0600, Chris Friesen

Does it stay on only when your foot is on the pedal, or does the pedal turn it on and then off?
Eitehr way has advantages and disadvantages, and all in all, I'm happy with the typical single handle faucet.
Two handles for the bath, just like the other guy said.

what a coon rig.
--
Steve Barker

"RicodJour" < snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

I don't know that term, and I have no idea what you are trying to say. English is the preferred language of communication on this newsgroup. Revise and resubmit. Thanks.
Look it up or ask around. I'm sure you can figger it out if you want to.
--
Steve Barker

"RicodJour" < snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com> wrote in message
Don't be so vigorous when you floss between your ears next time.

RicodJour wrote:

My cat's would have fun with that one. I would hate to think of my water bill.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Your cats need to go on a diet. ;)

Cool idea, frees up both hands
but I would expect much resistance from most folks...."too clinical"
No temperature adjustment by foot pedal.....just on / off.
Still I could have water with a lot less effort while shaving
however I doubt I could get "interior design" approval for installation on a pedestal sink. :)
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

That's the way construction is - and for good reason. If you're an early adopter, you're the test subject. When it's your house, or your customers complaining, that's no fun. The foot pedals are old technology in Europe and hospitals, so there's nothing really new there.

The second link I posted had a more involved operator. Electronically controlled with separate hot and cold switches - hit both for warm.

I really wish they'd put them in public bathrooms everywhere and have sensor doors so I wouldn't have to touch the skivy door handles.

Tell 'er it's the new code. I'll back you up. ;)

I have the motion sensing (battery operated) add on unit to the existing faucet. It only takes a minute to install but require to change the batteries every 6 months. A hard wired motion sensing unit would be even better, like in the public bathrooms, but require a new motion sensing faucet and a 120V outlet under the sink. Most kitchen already have 120V outlets under the sinks. Short kids and people in wheelchairs may have a problem operating the pedalvalve.
Anyway, when I come out of my shop or garden both of my hands are usually dirty so a touchless faucet is nice. The only problem is the preset pressure and temperature, I'll guess the next generation is voice command to adjust those.

I'll wait for a voice operated system.

No thanks! Who wants a faucet that replies:
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
Well, with separate hot and cold you at least have total control -- eg can get 100% hot or cold.
Obviously not for shower, etc, but better for some applications.
David