Singing light bulb on dimmer switch

Page 2 of 2
Peter Pan wrote:

Going further back in the thread, the discussion was on filtering rectified AC.
bud--
On Sat, 20 May 2006 03:22:00 -0400, "David D."

That's not been my experience.

I only have three dimmers for lights, but I've never had a lightbulb hum because of one. Until a couple weeks ago, I was using a 150 watt bulb in a desk lamp with a built-in dimmer right next to me. Unfortunately, I knocked the lamp off the table and broke the bulb so I don't have it, but I think it was the standard GE 150 watt bulb they sell in supermarkets.
In the dining room I also have a 150 with a dimmer, and I'll check the brand if you want me too. I only have to take off the cover. It's probably not G-40 since I've never heard of that, so let me know if you want me to check.
Otherwise, I'd say just try a different brand.

Gosh, gee.
If we are worrying about lights bulbs 'singing/humming' it makes one wonder what other RFI (radio frequency interference) these somewhat unecessary devices are causing? Why not use cheap bulbs and turn off a lamp or two?
And since many (most?) dimmers are manufactured 'to a price' is it correct to assume that compromises are made?
NM,
Thanks for the offer. But I do need a G50.
A G40 is a 5" diameter globe with a standard screw base. I could use a plain 150w bulb, but it would not be as attactive. This is an tiffany-shade type ceiling swag over the kitchen table.
- David

On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:54:28 -0400, "David D."

So the bulb itself shows. And it's 5 inches, so it might have a much bigger filament than the minimum size 150 incandescent.
You might be better off removing the dimmer and buying the size you most want to use.
I wanted the 150 for the dining area, because I only have one lamp, a floor lamp, in my living area. It's always sort of awkward to get to it, and sometimes near impossible, and it doesn't light up the whole area. So I want a bright dining room bulb. If it weren't for that, I think I'd use a 100W.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies, suggestions, and electronics clarifications.
I haven't quite decided what solution I am going to explore long term, but, for the moment, I am using the light undimmed.
- David