Simple math in shell script

I really don't know how bc/dc work. I need to do some really simple math in a Bourne script. But there are decimal places, so I can't use
$(( expression ))
(which otherwise would work as a shell built-in).
E.g., what's the syntax for finding
$X / 100 + 1
?
I wish the man pages had damn example sections!
Thanks.
Dallman
Dallman Ross wrote:

I haven't used the Bourne shell for a long time and don't even have a system up at the moment which has it but I do recall that bc is the way to do floating point math within it. As for man pages not having examples, I guess it depends on who's man pages you are looking at. My old AT&T SVR4 man pages sure had examples. You might look at http://x-bc.sourceforge.net/man_bc.html which has some examples given.
BTW: this seems a _really_ silly group for this posting.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Ah. That's much better than the man page I have. Thanks!

You're right, and I apologize. I'm red-faced, but I thought I was in another group when I made that post. I'm surprised you guys didn't flame the hell out of me! Thanks. Your and Steve's answers were useful.
Regards, Dallman
Dallman Ross wrote:

Using bash....
x=`expr $x / 100 + 1` for x 0 will return a value of 3 since 200/100=2 and then add 1.
But if you were to: x 000000;y=`expr 100 + 1`;x=`expr $x / $y` You get: 198019
Yeah...there's probably an easier way to do it.
Dallman Ross wrote:

Should have thought of this before: If $X is amenable, you can probably just perform the math as fixed-point by removing the decimal, calculating, and then re-insert the decimal in the proper location afterwards.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]