Simple Kitchen Remodel question....

Page 1 of 2
I want to remodel my entire kitchen, including adding ceramic tile flooring. Is it better to:
1) Remove all cabinets & appliances and tile the entire floor? Then replace the cabinets & appliances over the new tile?
OR
2) Replace and fix all cabinets first, then only tile up to the cabinets?
Thanks.
Bill wrote:

The second option is the usual course of events. Depending on which appliances you're talking about, you may want to run the tile under them before installation.
Bill wrote:

99.9% of the time it's #2. At least it is in CA. All the rough work gets done first incl. setting the cabs, then the tile follows. In the event you replace the floor at a later time it's a much easier chore as well. I recommend you tile under the dishwasher before it's installation.
Henslee's right.
One word of caution: make sure the DW fits after the tile's applied. Most DWs are designed to be installed over (normal) ceramic tile, but I've encountered extra-thick tile that will cause a problem. In this case, a new DW should be purchased, installed and tested, and tested, and tested....then the Piazza flooring be installed.
Also, Bosch DWs may be too tall to be installed over the tile. Highly-rated Kenmore DWs are 1/2" short so will fit over most tile.
Also, I've had to replace a tile floor where the tile was installed under the cabinets. It can be done, but it's truly painful to score and break the tile at the edge of the cab. Remember, there's a recess for the toe-kick. It can be done, but it added to my estimate, and to the customer's cost.
Rock

cabinets. This makes an easier tile job, places the countertops at a true 36", avoids having to deal with trying to get the dishwasher in and out over the edge of the tile, and, in theory, could allow you to rearrange things in future without redoing floor.
Having said that... I wish the guy who did my kitchen had placed the base cabinets first, and then tiled, because I would really like to replace the floor with something more to my liking, and that would mean ripping out all the cabinets now, since the tile runs under them. The rest of the kitchen is in good shape, but the floor has got to go.
I I were remodeling now, I think I'd lay a 3/4" (or whatever will match the finished tile height) plywood spacer down where the base cabinets are going to go, including under the dishwasher, tile up to that, and then place the cabinets on top of the plywood. The cabinets wouldn't be in the way while tileing, and all the heights would work out.
My $.02
Paul
Paul Franklin wrote:

Ayup. It makes little to no sense to tile first on residential floors prior to cabinets, etc. What little time and few cuts one saves by doing so is far outweighed by possible hassles later.
Even though both methods are recommended here, IMHO those that recommend tile first are not pros or have done very little in the way of remodelng or tile installation.

I have a bathroom done the second way and it looks like shit.

Specifics?

Ugly grout line at vanity. Tub is now effectivley locked in and would take ripping the tiles up to replace it if it failed. We almost had to when the whirlpool we had was warped at puddline at an edge. Luckily we found somebody that repairs acrylic and could heat it and bend it back to the right pitch.
FDR wrote:

If you have tile on the toekick there'll be a joint at the transition to the floor regardless. If it's a field joint that's close to the toekick that looks unsightly it could be the layout could have been adjusted. B'sides, you could have ended up with that issue even if the tile went first anyway.

'Ripped' up? They can be carefully and cleanly removed given the right person and a few tools.

It's advisable to always have extra tile stored.

Could be a poor installation.

It can be removed with some care. As long as the new tub is the same or larger, it can be fit properly. If the new tub is smaller, that could be a PITA.
On 10-Jul-2005, "FDR"

kitchen base cabinets are one thing. are you suggesting that built in tubs should be tiled under?
ml

To the contrary, it appears that you haven't ever seen a dishwasher that was installed *before* the tile went down... and now needs to be replaced.
Tile first.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

I've seen hundreds. bfd.
If you'd read the entire thread you would have seen that I recommended the space under the d/w be tiled first. Tile last.
Oh, and save your breath Miller. I've already seen you in action around here and right or *wrong* you tend to argue the point infinitesimally for arguments sake. I mostly don't respect your advice, and won't waste my time with you.
-end of subject-

It would seem like a waste of money to tile under fixed equipment like cabinets. If they're being screwed to the wall and never expected to be moved then why tile under them? That and the weight of the cabinets on top of the tiles would present greater likelihood of cracking them.
For applicance bays it might be worth tiling into them to help avoid spills running off the main floor area and down directly to subfloor. Or if you're using really expensive tiles then use something cheaper, but of the same height, in the unseen areas.
-Bill Kearney
Reality is nature's way of keeping things straight.
It is better to tile LAST. You want to put down some good tile or travertine, then have the cabinet guy, the countertop guy, the buttcrack plumber, and a few others dragging their stuff over finished tile?
Think about it.
Steve
wkearney99 wrote:

Another voice of reason.

Definitely 1.

Definitely not. What do you do if you ever have the need to replace or repair the floor? If it was linoleum, maybe. Ceramic, never

How often do you replace your floors?