Simple electrical question?

I have a triplet of switches that I'd like to run another set of lights from, it would be my hall closet.

I see all 3 switches and it looks like all the white are "nutted" together and all the black are "nutted" together.

My question is this, that's a NON-switched power supply that I can tap off of, right? It's just nestled behind the switches, and not much else is going on. Except one of the switches is a 3-way and the others are 2-way.

Just thought I'd check here.

I am going to do it anyhow. If that is not live, then I will trace back to where the live one comes in, but I can't imagine that I can't splice in there to have my 4th light work....

Reply to
ng_reader

Usually all the white neutrals are tied together because they don't get switched. The single black wire from the incoming line is usually pigtailed to additional short black wires for each switch. The other black wires not nutted to anything are usually the loads (lights).

To add a switch, add the white from your lamp to the white group and another black pigtail to the black group and bring your black wirte from the lamp to the new switch.

If a switch is 3 way, there is a distinct chance that at least one white wire is hot, it should have tape or magic marker on the wire and will not be tied to the other whites.

Reply to
PipeDown