Silver solder good enough from water & radiator pipes?

After looking info on joining copper pipes I read thsi page:

It instructs to use silver solder to join copper pipes. Will the join be strong enough?

Reply to
Dave

Well, I guess so, since most of the water pipes already in existence were soldered with regular lead based solder before it was eliminated and silver solder is much stronger.

Reply to
trader4

Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes:

Old Fangled

It's only been eliminated from the plumbing department. You can still get it and use it if you please. I won't use the "fake" solders myself.

Steve Barker

Should be, you need to be careful not to overheat the pipe as the melting point of silver solder is higher than regular solder.

Jeff

Yes

Reply to
lwasserm

Silver solder doesn't melt at a temperature anywhere near hot enough to be in danger of overheating the pipe ( unless someone is doing their soldering VERY wrong to begin with)..we are talking low temperature silver solder here, not silver brazing alloy!

Reply to
Mikey S.

I've done a bunch of soldering, flare, compression, etc.

This web page is very hard to understand. I've never used silver solder for water copper fittings. As to being a "master plumber", he sure writes miserable web sites.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

True, but it takes more heat than tin/lead solder and in the hands or an amateur, they can raise hell with oxidation and a wimpy torch trying to get the joint up to temperature.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski