Silly string on vinyl siding - help!

One of my miscreant kids sprayed some green Silly String (plasticized "string" that comes from an aerosal can and hardens - REALLY hardens - if Dad is irresponsible and lets it just sit there for days or months...) on our white vinyl siding and I'm finding it tough to remove.

I've tryed warm sudsy water, ammonia, a plastic scraper that cleans crud from a pizza stone, plasticized brillo-type pads, and the stuff is just not coming off.

I guess I could just keep throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at it, but am hoping that someone here has a sure-fire way to remove it.

From the tiny amount I've gotten off so far, it doesn't look like staining is an issue.

Reply to
test1

Probably too obvious an answer, but can you contact the manufacturer of Silly String to see what they recommend as a solvent? I would imagine you are not the first to deal with this type of issue. Also, I have been personally amazed at how well cooking oil works as a solvent toremove stuff from plastics like vinyl siding. You might give that a try with a bit of oil like Wesson, Crisco, etc.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

???Why does DAD have to remove it? Shouldn't the KID have to do that? Also, if this has happened more than once, your larva is clearly not being sufficiently supervised nor punished. Pathetic.

I suspect you are going to have to buff it out. Google up instructions for removing spray paint from cars. Solvents like acetone may remove the silly string but also dissolve the vinyl.

Reply to
Frank

The best advice would be manufacturer, though they have not always solved my problems. If their information is sketchy. .. ..

I would try WD-40 Mineral Spirits Goof Off Goo Gone Citrus based solvent.

I wouldn't worry about the WD or mineral spirits, all others would warrant testing in an inconspicuous area, though I don't think any of them would harm or discolor the vinyl siding.

Reply to
DanG

Silly String is manufactured by a privately held corporation whose principal product line is the "Little Tree" car fresheners. They have no web presence except for those products.

There's a NY Times story that troops in Iraq have been using it as a detecting device for mine trip wires as it will highlight them w/o having sufficient weight to trip them that has boosted sales of the product but the company wouldn't even comment on that other than at the most minimal confirmation.

Not much chance there it would seem. All other manufacturers seem to be Chinese (fancy that) and no information found except on the wholesale distribution level. Only contact info found was

Car-Freshner Corporation

21205 Little Tree Drive Watertown, New York 13601 USA

Telephone:(315) 788-6250

E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@little-trees.com

One could try a search for the product MSDS and get at least a feel for the type of materials from which it is made that might give some clues as to nature of compounds although I didn't try that route...it's possible there isn't one because it might not have the level of toxicity or other exposure that would require it.

I'd second the above list as reasonable choices to try...

--

Reply to
dpb

Good suggestions. WD is a great product for removing marks of all kinds from vinyl siding.

Reply to
Ollie N.

Have you tried Goop-Off or a similar product? I'm always amazed by what that stuff will work on.

Reply to
jthread

Frank wrote in news:poOdnaoAAL7BBfLVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That's what happens when you live in a plastic house.

Reply to
Stephen King

We had our front steel door covered with Silly String, complements of a unruly neighborhood kid. It hosed off easily. There are vinyl cleaners (for cars) you can use. I'd think something like WD40, or kerosene would clean well. Stay away from solvents and abrasives.

Reply to
Phisherman

WD-40 and kerosene are both solvents.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm not sure of effect on vinyl siding but ethyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol or mineral spirits should work. According to Wiki, polymer is poly isobutyl methacrylate which is soluble in these solvents and many others like acetone and toluene which can attack PVC.

Reply to
Frank

Kerosene, WD-40, household ammonia, alcohols will not plastic solvents. We were talking about vinyl siding, right?

Reply to
Phisherman

Haven't had much success with Wd-40, although it's really cleaned the siding!

What's this goof-off and goo-gone stuff? (I ask before of course befriending google myself and finding out)

Reply to
test1

Don't try any solvents until you contact a vinyl siding manufacturer. Solvents may seem to not harm the vinyl at first sight, but give it a month or two and you'll see what slowly takes place. The vinyl will start to warp and wrinkle. It will start to look like it was fire warped.

Reply to
tnom

The real problem is how does dad get rid of these bastard children and a wife who blames everything on him...

Glad I'm not married and my children are grown and gone..If this female or her demon spawn came near my siding, I'd spray wd-40 in their face. Yep ..that'd do it...

Reply to
in2-dadark

replying to h, Iabhoretrolls wrote: Wow, are you always this helpful? His parenting skills are not in question, nor are the character of his children. Only a pathetic individual such as yourself would reapond in this way. Ehat a sad, miserable life you lead.

Reply to
Iabhoretrolls

replying to in2-dadark, Iabhoretrolls wrote: Wow, are you always this helpful? His parenting skills are not in question, nor are the character of his wife and children. Only a pathetic individual such as yourself would respond in this way. What a sad, miserable life you lead.

Reply to
Iabhoretrolls