Silly string on vinyl siding - help!

One of my miscreant kids sprayed some green Silly String (plasticized "string" that comes from an aerosal can and hardens - REALLY hardens - if Dad is irresponsible and lets it just sit there for days or months...) on our white vinyl siding and I'm finding it tough to remove.
I've tryed warm sudsy water, ammonia, a plastic scraper that cleans crud from a pizza stone, plasticized brillo-type pads, and the stuff is just not coming off.
I guess I could just keep throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at it, but am hoping that someone here has a sure-fire way to remove it.
From the tiny amount I've gotten off so far, it doesn't look like staining is an issue.

Probably too obvious an answer, but can you contact the manufacturer of Silly String to see what they recommend as a solvent? I would imagine you are not the first to deal with this type of issue. Also, I have been personally amazed at how well cooking oil works as a solvent toremove stuff from plastics like vinyl siding. You might give that a try with a bit of oil like Wesson, Crisco, etc.
Smarty

???Why does DAD have to remove it? Shouldn't the KID have to do that? Also, if this has happened more than once, your larva is clearly not being sufficiently supervised nor punished. Pathetic.
snipped-for-privacy@test2.test wrote:

I suspect you are going to have to buff it out. Google up instructions for removing spray paint from cars. Solvents like acetone may remove the silly string but also dissolve the vinyl.

That's what happens when you live in a plastic house.
The best advice would be manufacturer, though they have not always solved my problems. If their information is sketchy. .. ..
I would try WD-40 Mineral Spirits Goof Off Goo Gone Citrus based solvent.
I wouldn't worry about the WD or mineral spirits, all others would warrant testing in an inconspicuous area, though I don't think any of them would harm or discolor the vinyl siding.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

Silly String is manufactured by a privately held corporation whose principal product line is the "Little Tree" car fresheners. They have no web presence except for those products.
There's a NY Times story that troops in Iraq have been using it as a detecting device for mine trip wires as it will highlight them w/o having sufficient weight to trip them that has boosted sales of the product but the company wouldn't even comment on that other than at the most minimal confirmation.
Not much chance there it would seem. All other manufacturers seem to be Chinese (fancy that) and no information found except on the wholesale distribution level. Only contact info found was
Car-Freshner Corporation 21205 Little Tree Drive Watertown, New York 13601 USA
Telephone:(315) 788-6250
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@little-trees.com
One could try a search for the product MSDS and get at least a feel for the type of materials from which it is made that might give some clues as to nature of compounds although I didn't try that route...it's possible there isn't one because it might not have the level of toxicity or other exposure that would require it.
I'd second the above list as reasonable choices to try...

Good suggestions. WD is a great product for removing marks of all kinds from vinyl siding.

Haven't had much success with Wd-40, although it's really cleaned the siding!
What's this goof-off and goo-gone stuff? (I ask before of course befriending google myself and finding out)
On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 13:02:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@test2.test wrote:

Don't try any solvents until you contact a vinyl siding manufacturer. Solvents may seem to not harm the vinyl at first sight, but give it a month or two and you'll see what slowly takes place. The vinyl will start to warp and wrinkle. It will start to look like it was fire warped.
The real problem is how does dad get rid of these bastard children and a wife who blames everything on him...
Glad I'm not married and my children are grown and gone..If this female or her demon spawn came near my siding, I'd spray wd-40 in their face. Yep ..that'd do it...

Have you tried Goop-Off or a similar product? I'm always amazed by what that stuff will work on.
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:13:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@test2.test wrote:

We had our front steel door covered with Silly String, complements of a unruly neighborhood kid. It hosed off easily. There are vinyl cleaners (for cars) you can use. I'd think something like WD40, or kerosene would clean well. Stay away from solvents and abrasives.
WD-40 and kerosene are both solvents.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm not sure of effect on vinyl siding but ethyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol or mineral spirits should work. According to Wiki, polymer is poly isobutyl methacrylate which is soluble in these solvents and many others like acetone and toluene which can attack PVC.
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 07:39:42 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Kerosene, WD-40, household ammonia, alcohols will not plastic solvents. We were talking about vinyl siding, right?