Silicone not curing, how to clean up?

I used an older tube of clear silicone and ran a bead along the back of a new cabinet top in our downstairs bathroom. 14 hours later, it hasn't even skinned over.

I can scrape the majority of it out easily enough, but what should I use to clean up the residue? Vinegar? Soap & water? Other?

Thanks in advance,

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

try heating it with a hair dryer, that might get it to cure.

if its cold in thaqt area curing will be real slow

Reply to
hallerb

It's definitely not cold in that room. But I'll try the dryer and see what happens, thanks.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I think denatured alcohol will clean uncured silicon.

Reply to
calhoun

I have some handy and will give it try if the heat doesn't work. Thanks, calhoun.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

If the silicon is were you want it, just leave it alone. It will cure in several days.

Silicon is a mositure cure, not a heat cure. It takes moisture out of the air.

If it smells like vinegar it's still not cured.

I'd wait for it to cure & razor blade off any that is in the wrong place

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

If the silicon is were you want it, just leave it alone. It will cure in several days.

If it was smooth when dispensed it wasn't too old. If it was chunky or lumpy that's not good, was too far gone to use.

Silicon is a mositure cure, not a heat cure. It takes moisture out of the air.

If it smells like vinegar it's still not cured.

I'd wait for it to cure & razor blade off any that is in the wrong place

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I had this happen with a new tube. That example did not cure. I wiped it up with kerosine. Leo

Reply to
wlslaton

It sounds to me the stuff was old. It never will cure if it was. However, I applied some to my barn a little over a year ago. I was just plugging some nail holes in sone used tin. It plugged the holes but remained soft. I planned to remove it and replace it, but this was in late fall of 2004, and it was getting cold so I just left it. Spring came and I was busy with other things. Late last summer I went to replace it and found it was semi hard. Apparently the hot sun baked it. It's not quite normal, but the holes are plugged and its in a spot where it dont really matter too much. So, it will stay. But it took a good year to semi-harden. Maybe after another summer it will completely harden???? This is fine on my barn, but in your bathroom, you dont want that.

I do wonder if you removed as much as possible with whatever scraper you can find. Then try to apply some new silicone. Will the new stuff cause the bad stuff to harden? I dotn know, just a guess.... I had planned to try that on my barn but like I said, it was semi hard, so I just left it.

I read what others said. I doubt the heat will work. Kerosene might work, but I would not try to apply new silicone to anything saturated with kerosene.

I learned the hard way. If it comes out of the tube with difficulty, toss it.

Reply to
maradcliff

"I learned the hard way. If it comes out of the tube with difficulty, toss it."

right on, it's just not worth the hassle of uncured silicone

BTDT what a mistake to save $4 :(

cheers Bob

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Reply to
BobK207

Mineral Spirits will clean it up.

Randy R. Cox

Reply to
Randy Cox

I think they also recommend lacquer thinner

Reply to
Rich256