Silicone (GE II) too soft for roofing/siding or inside panels above/to extra shower?

I just used some elsewhere outdoors where it is reaching 0 celsius now. But I had some I wiped on a piece of paper in the garage, where it doesn't get into single digits celsius, and its still gooey after several days. So I still have a couple of jobs to do, and I bought and was planning on using Silicone GE II for.
(i) On the roof, between the (std. asphalt residential) shingles and the aluminum siding to fill a 3/4" gap that has creaped away from the last caulking there.
(ii) Between the new walls and ceiling I just installed in the basement shower. It hasn't been used in years and probably won't for years to come. So there will be time to dry, but still. Its just a small square unit, and the wall and ceiling panels are above the unit. Some splash will make its way to the joints between the panels and the unit (maybe 6' high) and the rest of the joints are above that and is just going to be humid.
Just wondering if its too soft? ie need another type for these jobs? eg exchange for Latex?
-

Silicone caulk degrades in the tube, in its time of dated life. It goes bad, is another way of saying it. Cure time goes up as temps go down, and then do not exist, but for a real Pro call the Calk Co manufacturer...
now thats the exact opposite of what i read on some website(s). I read silicone lasts forever and anything else is waranteed to say only 50 yrs. These tubes have a lifetime warantee, the synthetic, like 50, 35, etc. Its also by far the most expensive. Twice that of the next.
wrote:

120,000+ Newsgroups

-
silicone is an element on the periodic table.
wrote:

-

That warranty is for the installed, hardened product not the "in the tube but not yet used" condition. I have found older silicon that has turned watery, or will not set or has already hardened in the tube. Use fresh stuff, especially, in below freezing temps.

bent wrote:

So, do you believe what you _think_ you read. Or, do you believe the mess you have in the tube?
ok, I have 2 tubes of GE II Silicon-e with the "BATCH", & "USE BY" (all exact digits here):
BATCH 07A034 USE BY 1/09 (the white tube I used, waste dab runny mess after week at 13 Celcius: other unchecked: too high) BATCH 06F018 USE BY 06/08 (the brown tube unopened)
who has the decoder Morpheus?
Whats going on here?
-
In case you didn't catch that, what is 1/09 & 06/08?

-

Month / Year

GE caulk is absolute garbage.

Persistant negative stories in this NG confirm my own experience with GE Silicone II and curing problems. The stuff just doesn't have the qualities of the original compounds. I've gone back to the conventional silicones, Dow, generic, GE, whatever and they all work just fine. Best of the lot was a generic from True Value Hardware of all places. Cured rapidly, completely, but was a tad runny compared to other brands, but OK otherwise. The best clue seems to be a strong acetic acid (vinegar) odor indicating aggressive curing is taking place. HTH
Joe
I vote for 'old' . A fresh new tube will likely dry within 24 hours.

What is new?
If it is month/year then the brown is 7 month to go till it expires, and the white is 14 months to expiry.
Anyone got any clue as to what the maximum months before expiry printed on them might be. ie What is "right off the line" (in total months)?
-
Also, what is a good cure time supposed to be, say indoors at 22C, in the shower, before one could wipe it down gently with a rag. And what might I expect with the 7 and 14 months expiries I have. The open 14 month till expiry white was used outdoors (vertically on siding) and I planned on using it at 30 degeree slope on roof between shingles/siding, and the shower (not to be used for years) if enough left over. The brown also outdoors on the shingles/siding. Outdoors now is cold. The instructions say above 5C. What about if it were 10C or 20C or 30C; what to expect: from these tubes, and what is a good (new) tube.
-