Silicone containing paints

Hello,
I hope this is the right group to post - apologies otherwise.
I am going the walls of the room of my son. The harware store suggested using silicone-containing water based paint, claiming it is easier to clean by wiping. Although this sounds attractive, I am not sure how "healthy" silicone is to be used in a child's room's painting.
I will appreciate any info/pointers deeply.
Many thanks in advance, -arifi
Frankly, I would be inclined to an "eggshell" finish, which I've used in kitchens and bathrooms where I need to be able to clean the walls. The old "bad actor" used to be lead which was used as a pigment. Of course, that is no longer used.
You are "goimg" the walls, , You need a paint store thats not bull shitting you on products. Or a real Paint store.

What finish are you using. For kids rooms, semigloss is usually a good choice. Use a decent quality but don't wipe/clean it hard for a month.
Al Bundy wrote:

Frankly, since a complete painting novice, I was assuming that no finish would be necessary after the claims of the hardware store (supposed to be a good and big one - Bauhaus). My concern was more on the potential health threats emerding due to the silicone content of the paint ...
?
arifi wrote:

The silicone in the paint would not be any more harmfull than any of the other components.... The problem with breast implants was that the silicone was leaking out into the body...
Ive never heard of silicone in paint though... Id just go with a good semi gloss paint.....
I do know that paint wont stick to silicone caulk.... although Ive seen pigmented silicone...or colored silicone caulk......looks like it would be hard to put silicone in paint....and what is the purpose of the silicone in the paint ???
I would google "paint containing silicone" but Im just not that interested in paint.....~:>

Neither have I but the only type of pro I am is a professional wanna-be.

There's paintable silicone and it does stick. I think like GE Silicone II is paintable.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Well at least one person wonders about the "Silicone." Silicone is the death of most finishes, so why would anyone put silicone in a paint.
I think the store guy probably said or meant silicon, and used that as an abbreviation of silicon dioxide. Lots of paints have that as a filler, essentially sand dust. Better paints have titanium dioxide.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

No, the guy meant silicone. I have a couple gallons of paint made for concrete sitting right here. It's usually found in paint/stain products meant to seal, be weatherproof, etc.
I'm sure it could be fine in an interior application too.
arifi wrote: ...

My guess is that the salesman misspoke and meant "acrylic" rather than "silicone". (There are no requirements for working in a paint store.)
arifi wrote:

Probably only dangerous if you spray it.
It might "perform" just a bit too well. Not only wouldn't dirt stick, any new paint wouldn't, either.
On 7 Oct 2006 10:43:55 -0700, "Father Haskell"

Usually, it's the parents that end up chewing the walls.
For what it's worth, I'd expect the carriers and colorants to be far more toxic than the silicone itself, (which, after all, they make muffin tins out of.)
If you let the paint cure until it pretty much stops outgassing before letting anyone sleep in the room, it will be fine. If the smell is strong enough to be bothersome, it's not done yet...

Goedjn wrote:

MANY THANKS for all the replies everyone, thanks for your time.
At the end, I picked a standard semi-glossi, painted, and am happy now.
Cheers, -arifi
The only silicone-containing paints I have heard of are for external use, and for some specific situations, such as concrete and, I think, high temperature coatings.
Manufacturers do put out specification sheets that give information on safety, contents, recommended uses, etc., but I would be very surprised if a retail store had such a sheet. Probably you would have to contact the manufacturer for such a sheet, and then hope it was clear enough to read.
If this paint costs much more than interior enamel, I wouldn't think it would be worth the extra cost, especially when your child may demand a new color in a few years.
I would be somewhat surprised if they sold a paint for interior use that had known safety issues, but then again, they didn't always know that lead was hazardous, or so their lawyers say.