Silicone calking cartridges, Avoid clogging?

Have I somehow gone all these years and still missed a "workshop tip" about how to keep silicone caulking from setting up in the cartridge spout once it's been unleashed?

Digging the hardened plug of silicone rubber out of the tapered spout the next time I need to use it is always a PIA.

I've tried squirting a bit out into a paper towel, wiping it off, and quickly slamming the cap on, followed by a few wraps of plastic electrical tape, but that doesn't seem to help.

Same for the plastic "toothpaste tubes" of the same stuff, though they're somewhat easier to clear the clogs out of.

Happy Holiday,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I bought some DAP caulking in Home Depot recently and they also have a 'cap' that fits on the end of the opened tube. It has been completely successful for me.

Also, the cap has a kind of 'fingernail' thing on it for dressing the bead.

Reply to
Lewis Campbell

I usually squeeze out about an inch of silicone when I am finished, put the cap on the tapered end, then apply the inch of silicone to the cap where it meets the tube, not 100% but it is useable in the future.

Tom.

Reply to
tflfb

I fold duct tape over the end. And drywall screw for removing the caulk plug.

Neither worsk very well.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Taping it with masking tape works pretty well, too. More than a year :o)

Reply to
norminn

It isn't just silicone, it's any type of calk. And the key is to keep out oxygen and to keep in the volatiles.

You take the tube out of the gun (of course). Take a large piece of saran or other type of plastic wrap and fold it so you have 4 layers and cover the big end of the tube and hold it on tight with rubber bands. Then you take another piece of 4 layers and wrap it tight around the nozzle. When you do this, lay the nozzle on the plastic with the top about the middle, fold the plastic over nozzle, and wrap tightly, then secure with rubber bands.

It took me a while to realize this too, putt>

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

According to George E. Cawthon :

I've had good luck with this too. I either use saran or heavier plastic. I don't pre-fold, I wrap it around the nozzle as many times as it'll go, making sure I have multiple layers particularly over the tip, and then use several turns of electrical tape around the plastic to secure it to the nozzle.

After a year or more, the caulk is usually as "fresh" as the day I first openned the tube.

With care, the plastic wrap "cap" can be reused.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I grab a piece of plastic (usually a Home Depot bag lying around or you can use Saran wrap) and cut out a chunk about the size of your palm, fold it over 2 -3 times, then wrap it over the cut end of the spout, twist it along the spout til theres no more slack, then secure by wrapping an elastic band tightly around about 5-6 times. Works for me. I ve never needed to seal the "other end" like one poster suggests.

Reply to
Rudy

I have started using our vacuum seal bags and drawing out the air and it keeps the Caulk in great shape! Why should the wife be the only one to use it? Course you got to fight her for it right?

Reply to
Lee Bray

tube and push a

allows the caulk

I use a 3" deck screw. When you pull it out, the hardened caulk comes with it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to