Silestone Counter Tops

For those of you with silestone counter tops, what are the pros and cons? What you get it again?
Thanks.
Kate
september.org:

We have a Silestone countertop in the kitchen we rebuilt about 7-8 years ago. We love it. It still looks pretty much like it always did. What I would different is get the whole thing made of a single piece. Because a part (about 1/5th) is about 1 1/2 inch wider than the rest, 2 pieces were matched together. While the seam was totally invisible at first, that seam is now just a little more visible. We had very soon after installation a booboo, where a piece with a size of about a coin dollar chipped out. It was repaired free, but looks a little different from the rest. Neither "flaw" is found easily by someone who doesn't know where to look.
We cut on it, and everything. It has never stained, wipes easily, and because it is white with flecks it is light and still doesn't show a little dirt. We made the back splash of dark blue tiles, which gives our tiny kitchen a lot of apparent space.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Kate wrote:

    I have had a 3 cm. Silestone counter installed for about two years now. I have about 54 square feet of it and it turned out beautiful. The seams are barely visible and one would need to hunt for them in order to find them. I spent a lot of time researching different materials and decided on Silestone because it does not stain or need to be sealed like Granite does. I like things that last a long time and require little maintenance. I am sure you will have someone install it that has the proper tools and knowledge, as it is too expensive a project to risk a screw up.
    I am very pleased and would install it again in a heartbeat. Shop around for the best price as all contractors try to make the most they can from a project.
Ken wrote:

black and shows all kinds of fingerprints, etc. I think a lighter color would have been much better, and he agrees.
Glad you like your Silestone, as I think that is what I am going to go with as well.
Thank you!
Kate wrote:

granite comes in many hundreds of colors. not all of it needs sealing. not all of it stains. one shouldn't rule out granite because of a sample size of one.
one shouldn't cut on any non-wood or plastic surface, as it's bad for the knives.
i used large granite tiles rather than a single slab, installed with minimal grout lines, as i could do that myself. i like that i can pull pans out of the oven and place them directly on the counter. they were seals 8 years ago at installation time, and have never stained.
i purchased a single tile and left various stainable items (lemon, wine, grease, etc) on it for days before i chose what i installed.
chaniarts wrote:

ago. It came with granite tiles and she loves it. I think there is good and bad in everything. Thanks for this info.

Agreed. Our granite doesn't stain at all. We cut on a plastic cutting board next to the under-mount sink. This combination makes it really easy to clean up. If I were laying it out I'd put the disposal on the other side, though.

I don't like grout on counter tops, but that's me. Granite is fantastic for baking, BTW. The island makes great cookies. ;-)

Good idea.
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:30:32 -0700, "chaniarts"

My last RE agent said: "There is a stain in the granite." I looked at it, and still bought the house!
Seems the first owner had a habit of sitting the dish detergent bottle on the counter instead on the sink edge.
Green dish soap, on granite counter over time equals a brown stain <sigh>
I love this house :-/
We installed ours about 10 years ago, and it's great. We got the undermount sink for free during a sale.