signal generator

Does anyone know of a cheap signal generator that I could use to identify cat 5 telephone wires AND also cable wires running behind walls and up 4 floors. I need something very basic as we are just trying to find these wires.
TIA.
oreo123 wrote:

You can just hook a battery up to the wires, then test the wires at the other end for current. I have a tone generator which is just a fancy battery holder when you get right down to it. It will do other things, but I just hook it up and check for current basically. Radio shack has 9 volt battery terminals that you can attach alligator clips to and have the same thing.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Micro Center and other computer retailers sell such items. Here is one that is available at Micro Center retail stores and also via online sales:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id 83309
I'd guess that electronics retailers such as Radio Shack would also have tone generators.
Good luck, Gideon
=============== oreo123 wrote in message ... Does anyone know of a cheap signal generator that I could use to identify cat 5 telephone wires AND also cable wires running behind walls and up 4 floors. I need something very basic as we are just trying to find these wires.
TIA.
oreo123 wrote:

Your language combining "identify" and "just trying to find these wires" is a bit vague.
Are you trying to LOCATE the wires (like where they run concealed behind walls, etc.) or do you already know where the "ends" of the wires are and you are just trying to identify the conductors in them in case someone has made some mismatched splices along their runs.
Let us know which it is and we'll be better able to help you.
BTW, if it's FIND you mean, then you could just disconnect the ends from everything else, light them up with 24vac from a doorbell transformer, open all the breakers controlling line power in the area you are searching (to avoid false trails), and use one of the many stud finders which have an "hot wire finder" feature in them to sweep the walls and ceilings. Something like this:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
oreo123 writes:

Home Depot carries the Ideal brand fox-hound type tracers.
I do know know about the one on this page put typically there is a coresponding reciever that will tone or ring when pointed to the wire where the transmitter is connected.
Check this page http://www.jkelectronics.com/prodpge/cat5test.htm Scroll down to the Ideal Amplifier Probe and Ideal Tone Generator. I suspect the one in the link provided is just a tone generator only and you will still need a probe. I have this kit and it works fine for what I suspect you want to do. (For coax you will need to expose the conductors for best results.