signal generator

Does anyone know of a cheap signal generator that I could use to identify cat 5 telephone wires AND also cable wires running behind walls and up 4 floors. I need something very basic as we are just trying to find these wires.

TIA.

Reply to
oreo123

You can just hook a battery up to the wires, then test the wires at the other end for current. I have a tone generator which is just a fancy battery holder when you get right down to it. It will do other things, but I just hook it up and check for current basically. Radio shack has 9 volt battery terminals that you can attach alligator clips to and have the same thing.

Reply to
Robert Allison

This item... is there supposed to be 2 different parts like a transmitter and receiver?

If this is in basement and I am 4 floors above how does it work? I mean do I have to find the wires upstairs and short them and this thing will ring? I have around 12 pairs of wires in basement that run to various boxes in third floor.

I was even thinking of a getting a radio, get an earplug, cut earplug wire, plug it into basement unknown wires, and then walk around upstairs with the speaker end and go to different wires.

TIA

Reply to
oreo123

Micro Center and other computer retailers sell such items. Here is one that is available at Micro Center retail stores and also via online sales:

I'd guess that electronics retailers such as Radio Shack would also have tone generators.

Good luck, Gideon

================

TIA.

Reply to
Gideon

Your language combining "identify" and "just trying to find these wires" is a bit vague.

Are you trying to LOCATE the wires (like where they run concealed behind walls, etc.) or do you already know where the "ends" of the wires are and you are just trying to identify the conductors in them in case someone has made some mismatched splices along their runs.

Let us know which it is and we'll be better able to help you.

BTW, if it's FIND you mean, then you could just disconnect the ends from everything else, light them up with 24vac from a doorbell transformer, open all the breakers controlling line power in the area you are searching (to avoid false trails), and use one of the many stud finders which have an "hot wire finder" feature in them to sweep the walls and ceilings. Something like this:

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Home Depot carries the Ideal brand fox-hound type tracers.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I do know know about the one on this page put typically there is a coresponding reciever that will tone or ring when pointed to the wire where the transmitter is connected.

Check this page

Scroll down to the Ideal Amplifier Probe and Ideal Tone Generator. I suspect the one in the link provided is just a tone generator only and you will still need a probe. I have this kit and it works fine for what I suspect you want to do. (For coax you will need to expose the conductors for best results.

Reply to
No