Sign in grocery store

That sounds right, and I found

It had quite a bit about check out lines, and some stuff about blind, but nothing about checkout lines for blind or limited vision.

Reply to
Micky

I thought you meant the walk-up ATMs at the banks themselves. They are the same as drive-up, ime.

Reply to
Micky

Well, I don't know what the aisle number is so why should they?

The braille receipt is a possibility, but either they and I would notice the receipt had braille, or they would have to turn it on when applicable. I was back at the same store and asked a cashier in a different lane, and he hadn't noticed and didn't know.

I go to the store once a week or more and in all these years, I don't even remember seeing someone I could tell was blind or with limited vision. Picking out the food must be the hard part so maybe they go to stores with more help. I'll look into this maybe.

Reply to
Micky

legally blind doesn't necessarily mean you can't see

Reply to
Malcom Mal Reynolds

They have a smartphone app that scans the UPC and says what the product is out loud.

For fresh food, there is always a UPC close by. I'm not sure how close one needs to be with the smartphone if the UPC is close to the ceiling.

In either case, one can write a greasemonkey app to combine the info with weekly advertising flyers to get the current pricing.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

And, before that, there were personal, non-contact (i.e., laser) scanners that could be loaded with a database of UPCdescription information (which, unfortunately, is often not intended to be HEARD spoken as it often contains abbreviations). Any UPC code not found in the database could be "annotated" with the user's own spoken voice.

This ensures the user can figure out what all those items are, AGAIN, when he gets them home.

Note that UPC databases aren't "open". And, that there might be multiple different UPC labels on a product (e.g., in the case of two off-the-shelf items packaged together for a "bulk" sale)

What about all the items that are NOT on sale?

And, given how hard it is to find an item in a store when you're sighted, how do you figure out which aisle has the "baked beans"?

Then, how do you figure out where they are located IN THAT AISLE?

And, how do you find the "hickory smoked" variety of a particular manufacturer?

Of course, all of this is predicated on you either having prepared a list of the items that you need before arriving at the store; or, shopping "by feel" ("I think I'll buy some beans, today"). Note that, unlike sighted shoppers, you don't have all those visual cues to SUGGEST products in which you might be interested ("Ah, beans! I haven't had those in a while!").

If, OTOH, a friend happened to give you a ride home from work and asked if you wanted to make a quick run into the local PigglyWiggly on your way home, that list you've been putting together AT HOME doesn't do you much good!

Gee, too bad you couldn't phone your refrigerator and ASK IT what you need!

Reply to
Don Y

Yes. I thought you might have been talking about ATMs in convenience stores and the like. I don't think I've ever seen a standalone, drive-up ATM, but I don't really pay that much attention.

Hence my deferral to your knowledge, since I know I'm oblivious to "foreign" ATMs. I'd have to be in a real emergency (and somehow also need cash rather than a credit card) to stick my ATM card in anything but my own bank's machine.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

This is a total and complete guess:

The profit made on an "independent" ATM isn't high enough to justify the expense of a drive-up ATM. When I think of the infrastructure involved as well as the maintenance, I just don't see it covered by the fees charged.

Sit a machine inside a convenience store, plug it into their power and toss them $0.50 (?) a transaction (or lease/own it in your own store) and I can see it eventually turning a profit.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If they are blind, how can they find the UPC?

Same question.

I think they are ready to pay what the store charges, but they can't tell what they have in their hands.

Reply to
Micky

In California they probably have them. They have drive up mortuaries, where you can see the departed through the window.

Had a case just this week when an ATM in a car wash was destroyed by a fire. They seemed to be using real numbers when they said their commission for someone geting money was $2, and half went to the owner of the machine and half went to the carwash owner. That they agreed on. They were fighting about how much of the fire insurance money the ATM owner would get. (The insurance had paid the car wash owner.) He got about 1600.

Reply to
Micky

Just point the camera at the product. Flip it around as needed. (The product container, not the phone.)

Reply to
Mike Duffy
[snip]

I've seen a drive-up liquor store.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I haven't seen that, but I was on the phone one time with a girl who ran out of something and had it delivered. I've never needed liquor so bad I couldn't just buy it when I was out.

She had been telling me how I could be in charge of her father's data processing department, after we were married I guess. But later she said, Oh, I was just drunk when I said that.

Reply to
Micky

If you flip the phone around you'll see my UPC.

Reply to
Micky