Sign in grocery store

Page 2 of 2
On 04/30/2016 02:04 AM, Micky wrote:
[snip]

I've seen a drive-up liquor store.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I haven't seen that, but I was on the phone one time with a girl who ran out of something and had it delivered. I've never needed liquor so bad I couldn't just buy it when I was out.
She had been telling me how I could be in charge of her father's data processing department, after we were married I guess. But later she said, Oh, I was just drunk when I said that.
On 4/27/2016 2:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Good catch and I'll admit that I only gave passing thought to the driveup ATMs and then ran with the obvious joke/ludicrousness of the situation.
Now, if you can give a logical explanation for the previously mentioned court call monitors, I can die a happy man! ;)
[...]

Cheaper for the ATM manufacturers to make one style of machine, with Braille, for all locations walk-up or drive-up, than to make one with and one without.
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 6:05:34 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:

As stated earlier...not the root cause.
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 06:43:29 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

That sounds right, and I found http://dredf.org/legal-advocacy/laws/access-equals-opportunity/grocery-stores/ It had quite a bit about check out lines, and some stuff about blind, but nothing about checkout lines for blind or limited vision.

legally blind doesn't necessarily mean you can't see
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 03:11:52 -0400, Micky

Maybe it's wide enough for a "Seeing Eye Horse".
Hey, dont laugh. They are now using miniature horses in place of dogs for blind people. They say these small horses are smarter, and one of the biggest advantages is that they live a lot longer. By the time a dog is trained to lead a blind person, half it's life is gone. Whereas these small horses generally live to be at least 25 years old, and some live into their 40s.
As far as that store, the sign, and the cashier, it appears they dont do a very good job training their cashiers, if they dont know what that sign means. Next time you go there, ask to speak to the manager, and see if he/she knows what it means. (my guess: they wont know either). All I can think is that they might have a braille capable printer which can print a receipt in braille. (just a guess, but they do have braille books in libraries). Also, look for braille on or along the edge of the counter, so blind people can identify their aisle number. Look for something like that....
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 13:10:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Well, I don't know what the aisle number is so why should they?
The braille receipt is a possibility, but either they and I would notice the receipt had braille, or they would have to turn it on when applicable. I was back at the same store and asked a cashier in a different lane, and he hadn't noticed and didn't know.
I go to the store once a week or more and in all these years, I don't even remember seeing someone I could tell was blind or with limited vision. Picking out the food must be the hard part so maybe they go to stores with more help. I'll look into this maybe.

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 01:21:42 -0400, Micky wrote:

They have a smartphone app that scans the UPC and says what the product is out loud.
For fresh food, there is always a UPC close by. I'm not sure how close one needs to be with the smartphone if the UPC is close to the ceiling.
In either case, one can write a greasemonkey app to combine the info with weekly advertising flyers to get the current pricing.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

On 4/29/2016 7:25 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:

And, before that, there were personal, non-contact (i.e., laser) scanners that could be loaded with a database of UPC<->description information (which, unfortunately, is often not intended to be HEARD spoken as it often contains abbreviations). Any UPC code not found in the database could be "annotated" with the user's own spoken voice.
This ensures the user can figure out what all those items are, AGAIN, when he gets them home.
Note that UPC databases aren't "open". And, that there might be multiple different UPC labels on a product (e.g., in the case of two off-the-shelf items packaged together for a "bulk" sale)

What about all the items that are NOT on sale?
And, given how hard it is to find an item in a store when you're sighted, how do you figure out which aisle has the "baked beans"?
Then, how do you figure out where they are located IN THAT AISLE?
And, how do you find the "hickory smoked" variety of a particular manufacturer?
Of course, all of this is predicated on you either having prepared a list of the items that you need before arriving at the store; or, shopping "by feel" ("I think I'll buy some beans, today"). Note that, unlike sighted shoppers, you don't have all those visual cues to SUGGEST products in which you might be interested ("Ah, beans! I haven't had those in a while!").
If, OTOH, a friend happened to give you a ride home from work and asked if you wanted to make a quick run into the local PigglyWiggly on your way home, that list you've been putting together AT HOME doesn't do you much good!
Gee, too bad you couldn't phone your refrigerator and ASK IT what you need!

If they are blind, how can they find the UPC?

Same question.

I think they are ready to pay what the store charges, but they can't tell what they have in their hands.
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 02:59:34 -0400, Micky wrote:

Just point the camera at the product. Flip it around as needed. (The product container, not the phone.)
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

If you flip the phone around you'll see my UPC.