Sign in grocery store

I was in a supermarket the other day and two checkout lanes had signs with a line representation of a wheelchair. I assume the lanes were wide enough for a wheel chair.

But two other lanes had signs with a representation of a blind man with a cane. One was my lane so I asked the cashier if he had special skills for dealing with the blind. He said, Huh? I pointed to the sign and he said he didn't know what it meant.

Do you? Do you know any word associated with the idea?

Reply to
Micky

Reminds me of something.

My city publishes the phone numbers of various city services, it seems there is a department for everything.

I am not a busy body and have never called to report a problem if someone in my neighborhood is doing something wrong...but one day I made an exception.

A young couple had an entire pickup truck loaded with a bunch of junk that looked like it had been hauled out of a river.

They pulled up to a park near my house and right in broad daylight...and worse still...laughing about it...unloaded the entire truck right on the corner.

I did not confront them, but jotted down their plate number.

When I tried to report it to the "illegal dumping" helpline they had zero idea how to handle it and I spent a lot of time on the phone being transferred from one department to the next until I finally gave up.

Turned out to be a good thing because I found out later the city had a river cleanup day, and those two kids were volunteers who simply put the trash at a designated pick up site. The next day a truck came and hauled it away.

Reply to
philo

Just had my coffee and woke up

So, a blind man would see that sign?

sheesh

Reply to
philo

LOL! Probably another unintended consequence of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)

Local courthouse has electronic monitors displaying which courtroom is hearing which cases. Very similar to the electronic displays showing flights at the airport.

Mounted in portrait mode in the wall of the hallway with the bottom edge of the frame about 6' off the floor there are small signs in Braille telling the "viewer" which courtroom the monitor pertains to.

Absolutely brilliant. Not!

Nearly as handy as the Braille signage on the DRIVE UP ATM's

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I was a member of an organization that had a fully wheel chair compliant bathroom. I asked why?

The president told me it was a requirement made by the building inspector in order to get an occupancy permit.

Ok, fair enough.

The fact that the bathroom was on the 2nd floor and no way for a wheelchair to get up there...did not seem to matter.

Reply to
philo

Maybe it's wide enough for a "Seeing Eye Horse".

Hey, dont laugh. They are now using miniature horses in place of dogs for blind people. They say these small horses are smarter, and one of the biggest advantages is that they live a lot longer. By the time a dog is trained to lead a blind person, half it's life is gone. Whereas these small horses generally live to be at least 25 years old, and some live into their 40s.

As far as that store, the sign, and the cashier, it appears they dont do a very good job training their cashiers, if they dont know what that sign means. Next time you go there, ask to speak to the manager, and see if he/she knows what it means. (my guess: they wont know either). All I can think is that they might have a braille capable printer which can print a receipt in braille. (just a guess, but they do have braille books in libraries). Also, look for braille on or along the edge of the counter, so blind people can identify their aisle number. Look for something like that....

Reply to
Paintedcow

I have always wondered why they dont make wheelchairs that have a hole in the seat, so a handicapped person can park their wheelchair over a toilet and take a shit without leaving their chair. . . . . . .

Reply to
Paintedcow

Blind people are allowed to sit in the back seat of vehicles. Blind people take taxis. Blind people deserve as much privacy regarding their financial transactions as anyone does. Blind people don't want to give their ATM card and pin number to the driver.

Granted, this doesn't address the issue of touchscreen ATM's. However, instructions on how to use a touchscreen ATM are available from banking institutions, just for the asking. In addition, headphone jacks are available on most ATM's. The audio instructions can walk the blind user through the required steps so that they can (privately) transact their business - using the Braille keypad.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ATM manufacturers don't make different faces for drive-up versus walk-up ATMS. Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

That may be true, but that is not the reason they have Braille on the drive-up machines.

The main reason is Section 4.34 of the ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities

4.34 Automated Teller Machines.

4.34.5 Equipment for Persons with Vision Impairments. Instructions and all information for use shall be made accessible to and independently usable by persons with vision impairments.

DerbyDad03

It would still be kind of a good idea to pull down their pants first.

BTW:I saw a wheelchair on-line the other day that instead of wheels had hard rubber spokes and could go up stairs

Not at all like the tank-tread type I saw when I Googled just now

Reply to
philo

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:5720a5f8$0$2914 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

[...]

Cheaper for the ATM manufacturers to make one style of machine, with Braille, for all locations walk-up or drive-up, than to make one with and one without.

Reply to
Doug Miller

As stated earlier...not the root cause.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ya think......

I just recently saw one of those tank-tread w-chairs. Quite a device, but I dont think I'd want to pay the price!!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Good catch and I'll admit that I only gave passing thought to the driveup ATMs and then ran with the obvious joke/ludicrousness of the situation.

Now, if you can give a logical explanation for the previously mentioned court call monitors, I can die a happy man! ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I'm not sure that that is the case, Cindy. Most drive-up ATM's I'm aware of are on bank premises. Those ATM's generally are set up to accept deposits as well, aren't they? That is going to require an entirely different set up.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Can't find the link now but the one I saw was a lot simpler...but a prototype

If it's any good and really works, it will probably go into production

Reply to
philo

I defer to your superior knowledge. I only use ATMs at my own bank.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

philo posted for all of us...

Like the Track Chairs that Bill O'Reilly is trying to get for veterans that need them so they can try to resume a somewhat normal life. Independence Fund 30k a chair.

Reply to
Tekkie®

So what makes them an illegal dumping helpline? Isn't your call the essence of what they should be handling?

So you're judgment about what the stuff was was correct!

That's good to here.

Reply to
Micky