Sign in grocery store

Page 1 of 2
I was in a supermarket the other day and two checkout lanes had signs with a line representation of a wheelchair. I assume the lanes were wide enough for a wheel chair.
But two other lanes had signs with a representation of a blind man with a cane. One was my lane so I asked the cashier if he had special skills for dealing with the blind. He said, Huh? I pointed to the sign and he said he didn't know what it meant.
Do you? Do you know any word associated with the idea?
On 04/27/2016 02:11 AM, Micky wrote:

Reminds me of something.
My city publishes the phone numbers of various city services, it seems there is a department for everything.
I am not a busy body and have never called to report a problem if someone in my neighborhood is doing something wrong...but one day I made an exception.
A young couple had an entire pickup truck loaded with a bunch of junk that looked like it had been hauled out of a river.
They pulled up to a park near my house and right in broad daylight...and worse still...laughing about it...unloaded the entire truck right on the corner.
I did not confront them, but jotted down their plate number.
When I tried to report it to the "illegal dumping" helpline they had zero idea how to handle it and I spent a lot of time on the phone being transferred from one department to the next until I finally gave up.
Turned out to be a good thing because I found out later the city had a river cleanup day, and those two kids were volunteers who simply put the trash at a designated pick up site. The next day a truck came and hauled it away.

So what makes them an illegal dumping helpline? Isn't your call the essence of what they should be handling?

So you're judgment about what the stuff was was correct!

That's good to here.
On 04/27/2016 02:11 AM, Micky wrote:

Just had my coffee and woke up
So, a blind man would see that sign?
sheesh
On 4/27/2016 6:08 AM, philo wrote:

LOL! Probably another unintended consequence of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)
Local courthouse has electronic monitors displaying which courtroom is hearing which cases. Very similar to the electronic displays showing flights at the airport.
Mounted in portrait mode in the wall of the hallway with the bottom edge of the frame about 6' off the floor there are small signs in Braille telling the "viewer" which courtroom the monitor pertains to.
Absolutely brilliant. Not!
Nearly as handy as the Braille signage on the DRIVE UP ATM's

I was a member of an organization that had a fully wheel chair compliant bathroom. I asked why?
The president told me it was a requirement made by the building inspector in order to get an occupancy permit.
Ok, fair enough.
The fact that the bathroom was on the 2nd floor and no way for a wheelchair to get up there...did not seem to matter.

I have always wondered why they dont make wheelchairs that have a hole in the seat, so a handicapped person can park their wheelchair over a toilet and take a shit without leaving their chair. . . . . . .
On 04/27/2016 12:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

It would still be kind of a good idea to pull down their pants first.
BTW:I saw a wheelchair on-line the other day that instead of wheels had hard rubber spokes and could go up stairs
Not at all like the tank-tread type I saw when I Googled just now

Ya think......

I just recently saw one of those tank-tread w-chairs. Quite a device, but I dont think I'd want to pay the price!!!
On 04/27/2016 09:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Can't find the link now but the one I saw was a lot simpler...but a prototype
If it's any good and really works, it will probably go into production
philo posted for all of us...

Like the Track Chairs that Bill O'Reilly is trying to get for veterans that need them so they can try to resume a somewhat normal life. Independence Fund 30k a chair.
--
Tekkie

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 7:43:56 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Blind people are allowed to sit in the back seat of vehicles. Blind people take taxis. Blind people deserve as much privacy regarding their financial transactions as anyone does. Blind people don't want to give their ATM card and pin number to the driver.
Granted, this doesn't address the issue of touchscreen ATM's. However, instructions on how to use a touchscreen ATM are available from banking institutions, just for the asking. In addition, headphone jacks are available on most ATM's. The audio instructions can walk the blind user through the required steps so that they can (privately) transact their business - using the Braille keypad.
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 3:00:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

ATM manufacturers don't make different faces for drive-up versus walk-up ATMS. Cindy Hamilton
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 3:21:30 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

That may be true, but that is not the reason they have Braille on the drive-up machines.
The main reason is Section 4.34 of the ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities
4.34 Automated Teller Machines.
4.34.5 Equipment for Persons with Vision Impairments. Instructions and all information for use shall be made accessible to and independently usable by persons with vision impairments.
https://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/buildings-and-sites/about-the-ada-standards/background/adaag#4.34
On 4/27/2016 2:21 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I'm not sure that that is the case, Cindy. Most drive-up ATM's I'm aware of are on bank premises. Those ATM's generally are set up to accept deposits as well, aren't they? That is going to require an entirely different set up.
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 10:47:41 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

I defer to your superior knowledge. I only use ATMs at my own bank.
Cindy Hamilton
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:34:14 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

I thought you meant the walk-up ATMs at the banks themselves. They are the same as drive-up, ime.

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 1:17:22 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

Yes. I thought you might have been talking about ATMs in convenience stores and the like. I don't think I've ever seen a standalone, drive-up ATM, but I don't really pay that much attention.
Hence my deferral to your knowledge, since I know I'm oblivious to "foreign" ATMs. I'd have to be in a real emergency (and somehow also need cash rather than a credit card) to stick my ATM card in anything but my own bank's machine.
Cindy Hamilton
On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 3:38:55 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

This is a total and complete guess:
The profit made on an "independent" ATM isn't high enough to justify the expense of a drive-up ATM. When I think of the infrastructure involved as well as the maintenance, I just don't see it covered by the fees charged.
Sit a machine inside a convenience store, plug it into their power and toss them $0.50 (?) a transaction (or lease/own it in your own store) and I can see it eventually turning a profit.
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:05:48 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

In California they probably have them. They have drive up mortuaries, where you can see the departed through the window.

Had a case just this week when an ATM in a car wash was destroyed by a fire. They seemed to be using real numbers when they said their commission for someone geting money was $2, and half went to the owner of the machine and half went to the carwash owner. That they agreed on. They were fighting about how much of the fire insurance money the ATM owner would get. (The insurance had paid the car wash owner.) He got about 1600.