sighing pipes

A few weeks ago we noticed on the garden faucet (just outside the kitchen) there was a device that was beginning to leak a small spray of water. I removed it and took it to osh and was told it was a backflow preventer (or something close to that). They had them so I replaced it. Now when we use the kitchen faucet when we turn it off the pipes make a sighing sound. If I close the garden faucet then the pipes dont do that. But I like to have the faucet on. Did I not install the backflow preventer correctly? Didnt see any instructions.

Reply to
Adam Russell

If water comes out of the garden hose when you want it to, then the backflow valve is not installed backwards. My guess is that the shockwave when you turn the kitchen faucet off is enough to drive a little extra water into the hose (Which, being flexible, swells) and this extra pressure is enough to drive water either back through the backflow valve, (in which case, it's defective) or out through whatever is on the end of your hose.

Reply to
Goedjn