Siding that has lost its lock.

Hey all..
I have some siding on the house that has lost the 'lock' and isn't tight.
What is the best way to fix this? Screws? or is there another method that is less noticeable that would prevent moisture from getting in.
Thanks
Jon wrote:

It would help if you told us what sort of siding you have, and why you think moisture is getting in. Details, man!
I don't know what kind of siding I have. I recently purchased the home.
The siding is coming away from the house in one section. It isn't locked in tightly to the other pieces that are above and below it. I think moisture is getting in because of the space between the siding and the wall!!
I am wondering if it is just as simple and taking some screws and screwing the siding back onto the walls of the house, or is there a different way.
I tried fastening the siding back it, but something has happened and it won't lock in.
I am in Eastern Canada.

tight.
that
Can you provide a picture? That's your only chance at this distance.
TB

home.
locked in

moisture
screwing
way.
it
If it's vinyl siding you may not be able to lock it unless you use a zip tool. You can get one at Home Depot.
Jon wrote:

Is it metal, plastic, wood? Use WORDS to describe it. Use as many as necessary. If you want the doctor to help you, you have to tell him your symptoms. Throw us a bone, fer cryin' out loud!

ROFL I agree.....
Lets see,,,,, Since this is alt.home.repair, my home needs a repair. I'm not sure what needs to be repaired, but could someone please tell me how to repair my home..... :)
If you dont know what it is, you really should hire someone to do the work. I mean most people can at least identify if it's wood, plywood, vinyl (plastic), some sort of metal, or another substance.
I have a feeling it's vinyl, and you DO NOT want to run screws thru that stuff.
-----------------

And ... how do you know the problem is moisture getting in, vice allowing moisture a way out? Clue: #2 of the above is important- providing exit path for water _vapor_. If _liquid_ water is getting in from outside, somebody really messed up.
In fact the siding is there to protect the sheathing and whatever barrier is installed over it. Is it doing that? Is it a risk to fall on someone? Is any of the sheating/siding/trim/etc threatened by water infiltration from outside? Are you in Phoenix? Seattle? Tell a story, concisely, please. Or you'll receive little useful info.
Yes vinyl siding..
It was already suggested to me by somone local to put screws in it with a bit of silicon sealing.

Jon wrote:

That person that gave you the advice...? Ignore them from now on.
If the siding was installed correctly, you can use a zip tool. This link will help understand how it works: http://tinyurl.com/7nsa9
If the siding wasn't installed correctly, there's not a lot you can do about it without removing the siding - as much as necessary - and reinstalling it.
Jon, let me give you a little advice, free of charge. If you don't give FULL descriptions of what the problem is, to the best of your ability, it can be very frustrating for people that are trying to help you to GUESS what you are talking about. Instead of saying something like I have some siding with gaps, what can I do to fix it? Say something like I have some vinyl (if you don't know what vinyl is say plastic) siding and there are gaps along the bottom of each piece - how can I reattach the pieces so moisture won't get in and in a way that won't damage my siding? No one will have a problem with too much information unless you are rambling and repeating yourself. Understand?
Thanks Dad...

Jon wrote:

You're welcome.