Siding on garage - what type is it?

Our almost 30 year-old garage needs to be painted. It has older siding on it but I'm not sure what it's called. It's not made of wood, vinyl or aluminium. Is it called clap board? or is clap board made of wood only?

The material looks like a fibre-cement composition... what's this stuff called?

What type of paint do I use?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

"clap boards" (don't know if that's how it's spelled) are usually wood, and they resemble modern (thinner) vinyl siding.

Sounds like Stucco or Dryvit? But it's *shaped* like siding??? Sorry, that doesn't quite make sense.

Ask Sherwin Williams.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Asbestos???

PrecisionMachinisT

Close your eyes and clap your hands....... CLAP CLAP CLAP.... It's called CLAP BOARD !!!! ***DUH***

As far as the kind of paint to use, I'd recommend HOUSE PAINT !!!

Reply to
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

How about:

Or Hardi-plank

Joseph Meehan

keep your condescension to yourself ...

It is not pure wood. Is clap board pure wood?

Reply to
Howie

Here's a few photos:

- can these corners be replaced? Can you still buy them?

does this help in identifying the stuff?

Howie

Reply to
Howie

It looks like Hardiplank to me.

Joseph Meehan

How long has this "Hardiplank" been around? The siding on the garage is at least 20 years old...

Howie

Reply to
Howie

A long time. Until I did a search I did not know if it was still available. The stuff on the page I at that web site seems to be a lot of new stuff I did not even know about. I am not sure, but I believe Hardiplank is a trade name and there may be other brands of the same basic stuff.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Masonite (hardboard) siding.

Travis Jordan

Fiber Cement HAS NOT been around long enough. The siding in the photos is Masonite or a copy of it, and is made of wood fibers (kinda like cardboard). Asbestos siding (Transite) looks totally different. Any good latex paint should work fine, but I would also suggest that you "ask Sherwin Williams", since I am very pleased with the products they offer.

Best of luck!

JK

Reply to
Big Jake

JK may well be right. My memory has failed me before. I have not personally worked with the stuff and I may have confused the Masonite stuff with it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thank You

It's deadly asbestos. If you have ever spend more than one hour within a 24 hour span of time, inside that house, you are as good as dead. You really should go out casket shopping this week.

Reply to
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Blow me...

Reply to